High School Day

24

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Special Event | Posted on October 28, 2015

There are less than 35 school days left before our Grade 5s become Grade 6s and our Grade 6s become Year 7s.

As part of our Transition Program, we have two High School Days. These days are designed to mirror a traditional day at high school. We invite teachers from our local high schools, follow a timetable, move around the school to different classes and complete Year 7 work.

This is the timetable we followed:

We had to take our folder, pencil case, diary and healthy snack with us to each class as we couldn’t go to our locker tubs or bags between lessons.

???????????????????????????????

Mr Langdon taught science. We found out that you copy notes from the board in some lessons. These notes help you learn and can also be used as study notes before unit tests or exams. Mr Langdon also shared his number one tip for high school; Be Organised!

???????????????????????????????

Mr Devine taught maths. We played an additionΒ game to warm our brains up and then worked with fractions.

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????
Mrs Gurney taught English. At high school reading and writing is not separated into two subjects like it is at primary school. In our English lesson we copied the goals from the board. We learnt about using similes to describe ‘flanimals’.

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

Mrs Egan taught geography. We used an atlas to have a virtual race around the world. Knowing how to use resources is going to be very important at high school.

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

Sir Prize (friends with Miss Tery) taught humanities. We learned about rainforests using information from a text book. We read the information together and then answered questions. Our answers had to be in full sentences andΒ clearly numbered.

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

We would like to thank Mr Langdon, Mr Devine, Mrs Gurney and Mrs Egan for being our high school teachers. We were able to ask questions about high school and learn how high school lessons usually run. High School Day has helped us understand more about what it is like to be in Year 7.

What did you learn about High School from High School Day?

What is your number 1 tip for doing well in Year 7?

Mmm, number one tip for doing well in Year 7? Do your homework! It doesn’t matter so much in Year 7, but it sets up good habits for when the work gets serious.

Second tip, if you are confused check out You Tube, there are some fantastic tutorials there.

Dearna

Hi everyone,

I learnt that you have to be very organised because if you forget anything you won’t be able to get it.

I liked how we got to make sherbet in science and how we didn’t do as much writing.

High School Day has helped me because it showed me how high school days run. It’s not like primary school because you have different teachers for different subjects.

From Dylan

Dear 5/6 Team,

High School Day was amazing and I had a lot of fun. For maths we played two games called Cricket Maths and Greedy Pig. I liked Greedy Pig better because you had to think of when it was going to roll the greedy pig number. A lot of people went out in the first round because they thought that the greedy pig number was going to come next. Sometimes they were right. Sometimes people went a bit higher. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

What did I learn on High School Day? I learnt that there are a different teachers for every subject. Also you get to copy notes off the whiteboard. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

What are some tips for year 7? A tip for Year 7 is to never leave your homework to the last minute. Also go to homework club if there is one at your school when you have homework. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

High School Day was great. I can’t wait for the next High School Day. So High School Day 2. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

From Aimee πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Hello everyone,
High School Day was very fun. My favourite part was having science and being able to make sherbet and eat it.

In High School Day One I learnt that you need to be organised because once your session starts you cant go back to your table or bag locker to get something.

My number one tip for high school would probably be that you need to be organised. Other wise it would be to do your homework because homework is important for the later years of high school.

Bye for now Cam

Hi everybody,

l think the number one tip is don’t mess up!

From Caleb

Hey 5/6 team,

I liked High School Day. My favourite subject was English because of doing the flanimals. It helped me learn more about similes. I liked writing my description.

I am excited for High School Day 2. I am looking forward to science.

My number 1 tip for Year 7 is to be focused and organised.

From Brayden

Hello,

I think High School Day was really fun. I really liked the timetable but I lost it and at one point I think it got run over by a car.

My tip for high school would be to stay organised and have a timetable.

From Alani

Hi everyone,

High School Day 1 was a great lot of fun this year. It was good to find out what it is like in high school and it got the class more prepared.

In maths we played cricket maths. You had 12 rolls (2 overs) to get the highest number you could. If you rolled a five it counted as a wicket and you lost 5 runs. We also played a game called Greedy Pig. I learnt that those games were both luck and no skill was involved.

In science sherbet was made. We learnt what acids and bases are and how they taste. First we tried citric acid. It was very sour. Then we tried bicarb soda and that was very bitter. When we mixed those two ingredients with some icing sugar it tasted good.

In geography there was a race around the world. We had to use an atlas and answer questions as we went along. I learnt how to use the co-ordinates to find specific places around the world.

Lastly, we learnt about flanimals and similies in English.

My number one tip for success in high school is to be organised. My sister has just started year 7 and she has been getting a lot of homework. She sometimes has homework for every subject to finish in less then a weeks time.

See ya’ later,
Campbell

Hi everybody,

I learnt that you need to be very organised in high school. You need to be prepared for every lesson as you are not allowed to go back to your locker/bag.

My #1 tip is to not change yourself to impress someone else.

I would like to say thank you to Mrs Gurney, Mr Devine, Mr Langdon and Mrs Egan for being our high school teachers for the day.

Good bye for now,

Breeanna

Hi 5/6 Team,

I have three tips for Grade 6. Well, I think they will work. They sound smart in my head.

TIPS ……
1. Make a lot of year 12 friends
2. Try not to get in trouble
3. Go to the skate park after school

On High School Day I learnt high school will be hard.

By Badyn

Hi everyone,

High School Day was great!:) πŸ™‚

Mr Langdon taught science. It was my first High School Day and the best thing was science (as well as maths). We made Sherbet.

Mr Devine taught maths. We learnt an addition game that was new to me.

My number 1 tip is to make sure that you do your homework and put it in on time.

That’s all for now,
Emma!!!!:):):):):):):):)

Hello 5/6 Team

I liked High School Day. My favourite thing was the flanimals.

At my new high school I don’t have to wear school clothes. There are gardens and I will do art. They have playgrounds, bigger than our playground.

There is a bike camp. I will be going on it.

From Ethan

What’s up 5/6 Team?!

What I learnt from High School Day is that you need to get to class on time and have all your bits and pieces ready, like books, pencil cases and other stuff. You also need to pay attention to the teacher or you can get in deep trouble and might have to stay in or get extra homework.

My number one tip is to remember to bring your diary and not be late for your next class.

That’s all from me. See you next time!

Bailey

HI EVERYONE!!!!

I loved High School Day 1. It was so much fun and made me sooooo excited for next year!

My favourite subject was English with Mrs Gurney where we wrote down paragraphs with similes about flaminals which are monsters with VERY weird and unusual features.

I learnt a new game in maths that was really fun to play!

A tip I have for other kids is to be plan how you’re going to organise yourself the day before, maybe when you’re going to bed and just imagine what you’re going to do.

Well that’s all from me. Bye,

Emily!!!:);):D:P

Hello everybody,

High School Day was so much FUN! I learnt so much, my favourite class was…….. ALL of them I can’t chose a favourite.

I’m not in high school yet, but my number 1 tip is to be organised! On High School Day I found it quite easy because I was organised!

From Ebony

Hello 5/6 Team,

I liked High School Day because it was really fun!

The most important thing to remember in high school is to be organised with everything.

My favourite things we did on High School Day was science and English. My favourite thing about science was we made sherbets and in English it was the flanimals. From High School Day I learnt lots about acids and learnt about similes. Maybe next time we could go to the high school again like we did a while ago.

High School Day was really fun.

From Xavier

Hello everyone, it’s Brian from 5?6 team here.

From High School Day I learnt that it is important to make the most of the time you have so you know the feeling of the transition. I really enjoyed it because we had real high school teachers. We also did some Year 7 work.

My number one tip I’m sure everyone in high school needs to follow is to be organised for the next class.

Bye for now Brian
THE REAL BRIZZA

Hello everyone,

I enjoyed the High School Day because there was a wide range of subjects. Next time I think that we should be able to go into classrooms with different people in each class.

All of the teachers from this High School Day were very nice and helped us concentrate in all of the classes. They also made everything fun and I think that they should still do that next time.

I think that some tips for high school (since I see my sisters using these) might be to stay organised, keep on trying no matter what and most importantly, have fun and make friends!

Bye,
Ella

Hello πŸ™‚

I really enjoyed High School Day. I loved learning about acids & bases and I liked making sherbet. I also liked meeting Sir Prize while doing humanities.

I think the number one tip is to be organised- just like Mr Langdon said. I reckon it will impact hugely when I go to high school.

That’s all for me πŸ™‚
From Bailey

Hello everyone,

I love having ‘High-School Days’. I think they are a great way to prepare Year 6 students for their school years ahead.

I learnt a lot about high-school. I learnt that you NEED to be organised. I also learnt that you may have to copy work directly off the board.

H -have fun
I- isn’t as bad as you may think
G- good time
H- homework isn’t too bad

S- stay friends with your primary school friends
C- courage – show courage and be confident
H- homework must be done
O- organisation is key
O- organise books
L- love memories

Happy Blogging!

Kaitlyn

Hi everyone,

The High School Day was really fun. My favourite class was science with Mr Langdon.

I hope one of my teachers next year can come for the second High School Day. I hope there are some new classes for the second day too. English was fun trying to describe monsters.

Can’t wait for the next one!

Bye for now
From Brent

Hi,

From High School dDy I learnt about getting your homework in on time and how important it is.

On High School Day it was good having different teachers and subjects. Next time I hope we can have a sports lesson.

I am looking forward to making new friends, trying new subjects and doing interschool sport at high school next year.

From George

Hello,

I really enjoyed High School Day because it was fun to see a little bit about what happens in high school. It was a bit strange not being able to come back to my locker but I will have to get used to that.

Can’t wait till the next High School Day!

Bye for now.

Edward `

Hi 5/6 Team,

I think it will be very fun going in to high school. My tip in to going to high school is to never feget to do your homework because my sister is in high school and she forgot to do her home work once and she got detention and she never forgot to do it again. So, always do it!

Daniel πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰