Staying Safe in Cyberspace

2

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in ICT | Posted on September 11, 2015

This week was National eSmart Week. Susan McLean, a cybersafety expert, visited our school to talk about how to be safe, smart and responsible when we use the internet.

???????????????????????????????

Susan taught us two key words to remember which will make sure that we never say or write anything bad online. The words are RESPECT and RESPONSIBILITY. Before you type anything, you should ask yourself “Am I being respectful?” and “Am I being responsible?”

Sometimes people are nasty online. They feel brave because they are hiding behind a computer screen. We learnt about cyberbullying.

???????????????????????????????

We talked about what to do if anyone is nasty to us online. We also talked about different examples of cyberbullying so that we can make sure we don’t do it. Did you know, that if someone sends you a mean message about someone and then you forward it on, you can also get in trouble – even though you didn’t start it.

We learnt about social media sites that have age restrictions. Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube accounts and iTunes accounts can only be used by people over the age of 13. Susan explained that you can still watch YouTube clips if you are not 13, but you cannot upload your own clips. You have to be over 17 to use Kik. The age restrictions apply because young people are still learning how to use the internet responsibly.  Susan showed us a video about a creepy man who liked to look on these sites and try to make friends with children. Creepy Man lied about his own age and what he looked like.

Susan explained that sometimes people do things online that they would never do in real life. She asked us these questions:

???????????????????????????????

Our answer to all of the above questions was ‘No’. However, sometimes people do this online, without even realising. It then makes it easy for people you don’t know to find out about you. It is important to be cyber safe at all times.

???????????????????????????????

Susan told us different ways we can keep ourselves safe online. Only talk to people who you know in real life. If you have friends who you only know online, delete them. Don’t accept friend requests from people you have never met.

Susan summarised her tips for staying safe online:

???????????????????????????????

Upper Plenty P.S received a Bully Stoppers grant which made it possible for Susan to visit. We would like to thank the Bully Stoppers grant people and Susan for helping to teach us how to stay safe online.

???????????????????????????????
Click Here to complete a cyberbullying quiz and Click Here to see if you can earn your digital licence.

What is your  number one tip for staying safe online?

What did you learn from Susan?

Hi Grade 5 / 6. I learnt a lot from attending Susan’s parent and staff information session on Wednesday night.
I was shocked at some of the statistics from our school about underage accounts on a variety of social media.
I did not realize that the exploitation of children was so wide spread in our country. Very sad that cyber bullying is also so wide spread. Susan had some great tips and strategies for parents to monitor their children’s activities on line. I found some of her discussion confronting but understand we need to be aware of what is our there in cyberspace. Stay safe grade 5 / 6. I have confidence that you have all learnt a lot and will do the right thing. The rules are there for a good reason.

Hello Everyone,
It is very important that people ensure that they are staying safe online.
I want to thank Susan for coming to our school and teaching us about the hidden dangers on the internet.
One main thing Susan mentioned is that age limits are set for a reason and are not meant to be broken. It was great to learn about the age restrictions that many people had not seen.
My tips are: Never lie about anything, especially your age and only talk to people that you know in real life because people might not be who they say they are.
Happy Blogging!
From Kaitlyn