Stinky Summaries!

5

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Literacy | Posted on September 2, 2015

Over the past two weeks we have been focusing on identifying the main idea in different texts. Click HERE to complete one of our reading activities from last week.

The main idea is the most important thing the author wants you to know. The text will also include supporting details. Can you work out which of the statements below is the main idea and which are the supporting details?

-The meat was undercooked

-The potatoes were burnt

-The meal was awful

-The food was cold

If you said ‘The meal was awful’ is the main idea you are correct! The other three statements support (‘back up’ / ‘prove’) that the meal wasn’t very nice.

If you can work out the main idea and the supporting details, you can summarise a text.

This term our class novel is David Walliams’ Mr Stink.Β Click HERE to find out more about David.

Capture

Earlier this week we wrote $2 summaries after reading a chapter. Each word ‘cost’ ten cents, meaning we could only use a maximum of 20 words. Here’s one a small group wrote:

Chloe and Annabelle gave Mr Stink a makeover because he was going to meet the Prime Minister.

Today we wrote a text response to summariseΒ the chapter called ‘Long Lion Days’. We were allowed to use more than 20 words and had to include the main idea and supporting details. Here’s one a small group wrote.

Chloe discovered that before Mr Stink was ‘Mr Stink’ he was Lord Darlington.

Lord Darlington lived in a big, stately house with his wife Violet. One night Mr Stink/Lord Darlington went to London to catch up with some old friends from school. Whilst he was gone, his house caught on fire. Violet and their unborn child died.

Mr Stink blamed himself for the fire and Violet’s death. He tried to live in the house but it was too sad.

One day he decided to leave. He took some belongings with him, including a silver spoon, handkerchief and photo of him and Violet. Mr Stink just kept on walking.

Chloe’s kindness towards Mr Stink saw them develop an unlikely friendship. It proves you should ‘never judge a book by its cover’.

We are enjoying reading Mr Stink. At the start of each chapter we take turns to act out the name of the chapter. There have been some funny ones!

When we finish the book (which could be this week!) we are going to compare the book with the film version. Here’s a little taste of the film:

Have you read any of David Walliams’ books? Which ones?

What do you like most about the book Mr Stink?

What does ‘Don’t Judge a Book by its Cover’ actually mean? Have you been guilty of this?

Another amazing post. I have not read this book but I think that I will now that I have read your taster pieces.

I love the saying ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover’. I think that it is something that we can all do at times. one time I remember meeting a friend of a friend. My initial impression was that they looked untidy, messy and I did think that they were ‘rough on the edges’. I wondered what my friend saw in the person and was worried that my friend was picking bad company. I ended up going away with my friend and this person came along. I had the best time ever and she is now my friend. She is caring, generous, thoughtful and very intuitive. I had totally misjudged her based on her appearance.

Since then I try very hard not to make assumptions about people until I get to know them better.

Cheers
Mrs Laffan

Dear 5/6 TEAM,

I have not read any of David Walliams’ books nor have I read Mr.Stink so I will be unfamiliar but I will be sure to keep up!

The saying “Don’t judge a book by its cover” means that you shouldn’t go with appearance but rather “Flavor.” Say you are making a dish for someone and you make it look all neat and tidy, but you put in the wrong ingredients! So you now have a dish that looks nice and feels nice, but tastes pretty bad! In another case, you have a bit of bad luck with time and end up making a dish look horrible because you had to rush making it, but when the customer tastes it, it tastes amazing! I learned a bit of this in food technology and so I have been told don’t rush and you’ll be fine.

There is a rule which I tend to live by and it’s “Murphy’s Law”. The rule is to expect the unexpected even when it is least likely to happen BUT it still can! The chance is just smaller than normal.

From a previous member of UPPS,
Grayson.

Hi Grayson,

Terrific to hear from you! Thank you for visiting the blog and leaving a comment.

Your examples of food and judging it by appearance made me smile. As you know, I am not much of a chef but could relate to your comments. I made a cake once that looked pretty good but tasted pretty bad! Not even the dog wanted to eat a little piece! It sounds like you are learning lots in food technology.

We hope you keep visiting our blog and leaving us comments.

Miss Crowther πŸ™‚

Hi 5/6 team,

Even though you started reading Mr Stink prior to Mr Sinclair and I rejoining you within the classroom, I have really enjoyed sharing the reading experience with you all. I know I still have to work on my individual character voices! Miss Crowther is the best at that! πŸ˜€

The part I’ve enjoyed most about Mr Stink is the friendship and unwavering support that Chloe and Mr Stink offer each other. I think they recognise they are very different people, but see this as an opportunity to learn off each other. Have any of you been in a similar situation?

As I come from a design background, I often look at book covers and form a visual judgement. It is something I have to consciously remind myself not to do! To counter this, I try to read the blurb or flick through the contents page and read the chapter titles, in order to gauge if it sounds like a book that I’d be interested in reading!

What are your strategies for not judging a book by its cover?

See you all tomorrow!
Miss Newton

Hi Miss Newton, πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

I have also been in a similar thing with my best friend. We sometimes fight over what game we play but now we play games that we both want to play. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

This is a list of what games we choose most of the days:
* Mums and Dads πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
* Teachers πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
* Tennis (if our parents say we can) πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
*Go on the computer (if our parents say we can) πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Sometimes we want to play Monopoly but we can’t because there are only two cars to play with and one of us has to be the banker. The reason we can’t is because we fight over who is the banker. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

From Aimee πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚