Location, Location!

4

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Numeracy | Posted on August 17, 2015

Recently we learnt about location. We learnt how to use grid references, co-ordinates, compass points and also compared different types of maps.

We began by making and using a giant classroom grid reference system. We drew our classroom using correct grid references to locate objects.

Aside from grid references, such as B3, we discovered that there are other ways to describe the location of particular objects. The Cartesian co-ordinate system was named after a man called Rene Descartes who was also known as Cartesius. Unlike grid references, the Cartesian system only uses numbers.

There are four quadrants in the Cartesian co-ordinate system, each with co-ordinates created using the x and y axis.  It’s important to remember to read the x co-ordinate first. Campbell shared his strategy for remembering this, which is Jack goes across the beanstalk and then up or down. Kaitlyn shared her strategy, which is x comes before y in the alphabet.

The image below is from Maths Worksheets for Kids and names the different quadrants.

Capture

We completed some activities like the one below from the Maths Aid website to practise finding certain points.

Capture 2

We used quite a few websites to learn about grid references and co-ordinates. You might like to complete the activities too!

Task 1. Click HERE to help Billy Bug find his food.

Task 2: Click HERE to help find the dinosaur bones.

Task 3. Click HERE to answer questions about co-ordinates in the Cartesian co-ordinate system.

Task 4. Click HERE to answer more questions about the Cartesian co-ordinate system.

Task 5:

We also compared satellite/aerial views with other maps. There are lots of differences between the two maps below. Both of them show our school. Most of us prefer the satellite view as it is easier to see details and it gives a clearer picture of what the actual area looks like.

UPPS Map

UPPS satellite

Which map do you prefer? Why?

When do you use mapping skills?

Hello 5/6 team! I’m Badyn’s Mum and we just read this post together (as he is home sick with those nasty tummy bugs) and we just thought we would share some interesting information with you all in regards to your mapping skills that you are learning about now.

I use these mapping skills on a personal level with my clients (I’m a final year uni student) and a clinical nutritionist who sees many patients in the uni clinic and in hospitals and I do many clinical examinations which helps me find the area of concern for my clients. And to do this I use my quadrant mapping skills on the human tummy area (I bet you didn’t know that you had an area like this on your very own body!?), let me show you what I mean by having a look at the picture on the link below…
https://figures.boundless.com/29698/full/Abdominal_Quadrant_Regions.jpg

You might even recall your doctor feeling your tummy if you’ve visited them with a belly ache once before?
Next time you get a sore belly or notice a strange sensation as your food passes through your intestines, lie on your back and have a feel of you stomach and try and distinguish which area/quadrant in which you feel it. It is extremely fascinating and a great diagnostic tool for a practitioner like me 🙂

Keep up the great learning 5/6 team!

Hi Megyn,

Thank you for taking the time to visit our 5/6 blog.

As a class, we have taken a look at the practical example that you provided us with in your above post. We wish you all the best with your future studies.

Kind regards,

5/6 Team

Hi everyone!

I really enjoyed all five tasks and learning about the Cartesian co-ordinate system.

I prefer the bottom map because it has more detail but the top one is a bit easier to understand. I can’t really decide between the two.

Bye for now – that is all I have to say.

From Ella

To Caleb

Your blog is amazing. We love your blog Caleb.

We hope you send us a reply!

From Mia, Lucy and Ella