How to Save a Life

6

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Learning, Special Event | Posted on July 27, 2015

Today we met Annie from St John First Aid. St John Ambulance Victoria deliver free first aid training to schools and our whole school participated in a session today.

Annie taught us the basics of first aid and how we might be able to help save a life one day.

Danger – It is important to check for danger. Are you safe? Is everyone else safe? If it is safe to do so, approach the patient.

Response – Ask the patient “Can you hear me?” If you don’t get any response, move a little closer (as long as it is still safe) and squeeze the person’s shoulders.

Send for Help – Phone 000 or ask someone else to phone

Airway – Check that the airway is clear. We practised our ‘pistol grip’ to tilt our heads back slightly.

We practised our ‘pistol grip’ to open our airways

Breathing – Check if the person is breathing. If they are breathing, place them in the recovery position.

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) – If the person is NOT breathing, start CPR.  If you don’t know the person and you don’t have a face shield, it is okay to just do the compressions.

???????????????????????????????

Measure so that you place your hands in the correct spot

Measure so that you place your hands in the correct spot.

Lean over the person, make sure your arms are straight and press one third of the chest depth down.

Lean over the person, make sure your arms are straight and press one third of the chest down.

Defibrillation – If you have one, send someone to get the defibrillator. Follow the instructions on it.
Capture

What first aid skills do you have?

Have you ever done a first aid course? Tell us about it!

Hi 5/6 team,

The thing I learnt most about is the defibrillation part of DRSABCD. Now I know it’s a machine with some pads that give the unconscious person a shock. The person using the defibrillator has to move away from the person while it gives a shock.

Xavier

From Xavier

l had fun doing this.

Hi 5/6 team

My favourite thing in first aid was when we had to pump the heart of the big dummy. My least favourite was when we had to go back to the classroom. It was very fun watching everyone try CPR.

From Daniel

Hi 5/6Team,

It’s Emily.
I was actually very interested in learning about first aid, also a little worried that I might have to perform first aid one day, and I am scared that I won’t do it right and will hurt them :O

Anyway, I have learned lots of new things from listening to Annie, such as how to perform C.P.R! And what steps to remember when in the situation of saving some ones life!

I haven’t actually performed first aid on someone before and I am glad I haven’t because if I did I probably would have injured them!

Emily

Hi everyone!!! 🙂

Our class learnt a lot about first aid and it will help us save lives. SORT OF LIKE SUPER HEROS!!!!!!

Anyway, it was really fun and I hope we can do it again another day.

Bye for now!!!!

From Ella.

Hello Everyone,
First aid is a necessary, resourceful, vital skill to have. We urge everyone to learn first aid beginning at a young age.
Learning first aid at a young age sets you up with a life saving skill which may be needed at any given time.
We have got our certificates of attainment for our first aid. We have participated in two first aid courses. We have learnt the processes involved in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
Our first course was last year and we learnt how to perform first aid and the meanings in DRSABCD. We got to practise first aid on a dummy called Annie #2 and Annie #3.
Its a great idea to get schools involving their pupils in first aid courses.
Happy Blogging
From Kaitlyn, Tayla and Tash.