Procedures & Preps!

5

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Literacy | Posted on July 17, 2015

This week we have been preparing procedures for our prep buddies!

A procedural text tells you how to do something. It might be how to cook something, build something, play something or travel somewhere. Procedures come in all shapes and sizes. From recipes to Google Map directions, procedures are everywhere. You have probably even followed one today!

Procedures have certain things in common. They have an aim, materials/equipment, steps/method/how to… and a concluding sentence that might be a tip, offer safety advice or just tell you what your finished product should look like.

Working with a partner, we chose a ‘thing’ to teach our prep buddies. It had to be something that a five year old would like and be able to do within ten minutes. When we were writing our procedures we thought about the needs of our audience. We had to use clear instructions and include diagrams or photos to support our words.

You can read some of our procedures below:

Today we tested out the effectiveness of our procedures. We read them to our younger friends who had to follow them. We were very happy to see our instructions in action!

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

What procedures do you use most?

What do you think makes a procedure easy to understand?

Hi Everyone
Recipes are my favourite procedures. They do have complications though!
For Christmas received a cookbook. I thought it would be really good because it comes from a group of experienced cooks.
Unfortunately many of the recipes are missing important information such as how long to bake for, consistency of syrup and even missing ingredients.
I have had to make some of the recipes up to five times and make my own notes in the procedure to make it accurate!
How do you think the editors could have improved this cookbook?
Dearna C
(Edward’s Aunty)

Hello Dearna,
Thank you for commenting on our blog. We understand what you mean about the book not having all the instructions.

We think the editors could have done a better job by filling in missing parts and double checking that they have everything.

From 5/6 team

Hi Becky and Emma,

We tried out your bunny and we loved it! It was so much fun. We miss you. 🙁

From Lily and Aliyah

Hi Aliyah and Lily,

I miss you as well. 🙁 It would be way more fun if you two and Ebony M were still here at U.P.P.S. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Hopefully you guys will come and visit.

Soon we are going to camp in August. Then some of us are going to Tasmania for five days.

Kind Regards
Becky 🙂 🙂 🙂

Well written procedures everyone! I think the Preps had a wonderful time testing them out! You are all showing excellent values to take such a keen interest in the Preps. I know that the Preppies love spending time with the 5/6 Team so keep up the fantastic work!
Leigh