Crack the Code with Maths!

7

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Numeracy, School Event | Posted on May 21, 2015

This week is Education Week in Victoria, Australia. It is a week dedicated to sharing and showcasing the wonderful things that happen in schools all around the state. Each year Education Week has a focus and this year’s focus is maths.

This year’s challenge was to ‘get involved, intrigued and inspired by maths’ and that is exactly what everyone at Upper Plenty Primary School did!

Monday was Maths Day. The whole school was divided into small groups with students from Foundation all the way to Grade Six. Each group participated in four rotations with four different teachers. The students in 5/6 Team had a list of group members and made sure everyone made it safely to their next destination.

All the activities were maths based. Activities ranged from ‘What’s the Time Mr Wolf?’ to ‘Tangram Pictures’. It was great fun completing different activities with different teachers and different students.

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????
After lunch we split into two groups; a Foundation to Grade Two group and a Grade Three to Grade Six group, for a maths relay. It went like this:

1. Form a team of six students (there had to be students from different year levels in each team)

2. First person in the team runs to a student leader in the middle of the oval/basketball court to collect a card with a maths question on

3. Run back to team

4. Solve the problem as a team

5. New runner races back to the student leader and gives them the team’s answer. If the answer is correct, the team gets a new question

6. Continue until time is up

At the end of the relay all teams received an envelope with their correctly answered questions. Teams added up their scores and celebrated their correct answers.

???????????????????????????????

Teams racing to the student leaders for the next question.

???????????????????????????????

Solving the problem as a team

Below is a copy of the Grade 3 – 6 questions in case you want to play at home!

What do you like most about maths?

What maths have you done today? (It doesn’t have to be at school!)

Crack the code sounds like so much fun

I love problem solving in maths. I find it challenging and it really makes me think. I use maths daily in my job. I have lots of figures I have to work with like enrolment numbers, paying bills, balancing the bill with the money in the bank, (trust me this is not an easy one!). I use maths when I cook, when I set the washing machine timer, when I try and work out which pot to use to fit all the ingredients in. The list goes on and on. Maths is so much a part of our everyday living that we forget that it is maths, we just do it without thinking.

I had a great day on Monday. It was so nice to be out of my office and working with all of you. I was extremely proud of the way you led the afternoon activities.

Can’t wait until the next special event.

Your maths day looks very exciting – and what a great way to get everyone involved and helping each other. I especially liked your outdoor quiz… we sometimes have outdoor maths treasure hunts, but last time we did it went a little bit wrong… I had gone out to place all the treasure hunt cards around the field, but before the first lesson a little bit of a breeze got up and although I had tied the clues or put them under stones, a number were blown free, so the treasure hunt took ages… because a number of clues had blown away! So I have learned my lesson. Check the weather forecast first. Tie everything down tightly. And don’t do treasure hunts on windy days!

I love maths games that involve strategy, patterns and thinking ahead. Today in class we’re going to be trying out a game called Quirkle – have you ever heard of it? It uses all those things. It’s a great way to help us with our problem solving.

Mrs Monaghan

I really enjoyed Maths Day. I played Watch Out with my groups. It was the opposite to Naughts and Crosses. If you got three in a row, you lost! It was challenging to avoid losing.
So much fun!
Mrs Hastie

Hello everyone,
The day was a great success and it was great to see the costume ideas some people had. I had fun and especially liked mixing up the groups a bit for the day. I worked with some preps on the day. It was great that the 5/6’s could help the younger students.
I love maths. I couldn’t pick a specific part of maths. I love algebra, fractions, decimals, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction and many more!
I love maths so much that I would like to become an accountant or a teacher. An accountant to work with maths all day and a teacher to teach others maths. I have thought about doing both of them but I am told that I would be too busy with one of them to do the other.
Today I have counted my points and goals in basketball and points in tennis. In basketball you have to consistently add the point to the score board. I calculated the difference between my team and the opposition’s scores multiple times. In tennis I had to keep score of the game and often call out the scores so I had to add them.
I have found an awesome quote about maths. I love it! The quote is ‘Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas. ~Albert Einstein’
I can’t wait to do more maths.
Happy blogging!
From Kaitlyn

Hello everyone,

Maths day was fun. It was great to see everyone joining in.

It was good to see all the photos with big kids working with small kids and having lots of fun. We now there is a step by step procedure about the race. There was lots of activities to play and it was fun working with little kids.

Can we do it again some time?

Brent and Daniel

Hello everyone,

I was one of the people in the middle basketball court and I think everyone in Foundation to Grade Two did a great job. In my group they got them all right except for two.

I think everyone had fun during the Maths Day in Education Week. Everyone worked hard.

What was your favourite part about Maths Day?

Did you dress up in anything to do with Maths?

Olivia