Grow Your Mind!

7

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Learning | Posted on April 30, 2015

At the start of the year, our principal, Mrs Laffan, told Mrs Placek and Miss Crowther about a lady in America called Dr. Carol Dweck. Carol is a professor of psychology and works at Stanford University in America. She researches intelligence, motivation and how people think and learn. She talks about a fixed mindset and a growth mindset.

In an interview in 2012, Carol said:

“In a fixed mindset students believe their basic abilities, their intelligence, their talents, are just fixed traits. They have a certain amount and that’s that, and then their goal becomes to look smart all the time and never look dumb. In a growth mindset students understand that their talents and abilities can be developed through effort, good teaching and persistence. They don’t necessarily think everyone’s the same or anyone can be Einstein, but they believe everyone can get smarter if they work at it.”

The video clip below proves that failing is actually a good thing. Like Carol says, if you have a growth mindset you will believe that if you work hard you can learn new things. At first things might be difficult. However, the next time you do them they will be slightly easier and then even easier the next time.

There are lots of ‘famous failures’ in the world. Β Did you know that…

* Walt Disney was fired from a newspaper job for having ‘no imagination’ or ‘original ideas’

* A very famous band called The Beatles were rejected by a recording studio and told they had no future in music

* JK Rowling’s first Harry Potter book was rejected by 12 publishers

Orange Man

When have you worked hard to learn something new?

What do you think of Dr. Carol Dweck’s ideas on how people learn?

Love this post. Thank you for sharing it. As a coach of so many girls and some boys I see kids and parents get dissapointed if they don’t succeed straight away.
Life can throw you many blows and set backs . You can not give up you must keep fighting to succeed.

I am so happy that you are thinking about Carol Dweck’s work and challenging your ideas on how we learn and become smarter. When I read Carol’s book I had so many ‘Aha’ moments. That means that I keep saying to myself ‘This makes so much sense!’. As I read it I thought of children who I had taught and even some of the students from Upper Plenty and thought about how different their school experience might have been if they had believed that they could get smarter and they didn’t look at mistakes as a sign of what the couldn’t do but more as a sign of what they couldn’t do YET!
The teachers and I are going to be working on the growth mindset theory and in turn your teachers will be working with you on this. I urge you to listen, think, challenge and apply your learning as it will make an enormous difference to how you succeed in the future. It will also empower you to help those around you to succeed.
Please keep me posted on what you are doing in this area.

Cheers

Hello everyone,

It was interesting to read about all the famous failures. We didn’t know that those people had failed so many times and achieved things as a result of those failures.

We think the picture of the mandarine man shows us all how sometimes you just have to move on in life.

The video clip about Michael Jordan’s failures inspires us to not give up even when you feel like you have failed. Who, or what, inspires you?

What do you think about the messages in this post?

Have you heard of any other sayings about not giving up?

5/6 Team

Hi!

We liked the post you posted on the blog, it inspired us to do our best at everything we can! The video told us that never give up, even if it’s the most difficult thing you’ve ever done in your whole life! Cooper thinks the video was cool because he now knows that he should never stop playing basketball even if he’s really bad at it!!!

Did you like the post and what did you think of it?
What is one thing you have never given up on?

Thank you for reading our comment,

From Emily and Alani!!!

Hello everyone,

Dr. Carol Dweck’s words have inspired us to learn from our mistakes and to never give up. Even famous people fail to be able to succeed.

Ethan has worked hard to learn something new by not giving up when doing homework. Ebony has worked hard to learn something new when ‘Plan A’ doesn’t work, she goes to ‘Plan B’ and doesn’t give up. Tayla has the dance choregraphy right and kept practising and now knows it off by heart.

Micheal Jordan’s video is very inspiring and helps us to believe that we can succeed in life.

From the Crew!!! πŸ™‚

Hello everyone,

The video and the quote are very inspirational. It is interesting to see how so many famous people have failed, it proves that if you never give up and keep on trying you will succeed in life.

At the end of the Michael Jordan video it said “I have failed so many times and that is why I succeed.”

We learnt something about the mandarine man quote, it is basically saying when bad things happen you have to move on in life.

Mia: When I was first introduced to sewing it was difficult but I kept on trying and I finally succeeded.

Tash: When I was little I couldn’t tie my shoelaces so kept on practicing until I finally succeeded.

What inspires you and why?

When have you succeeded but failed the first time?

Tash and Mia πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Hello world,

We just watched the Michael Jordan clip and we have learnt that to never give up even if you think you failed. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Michael Jordan missed more than 9,000 shots in his career, but he never gave up. He tried and tried again.

What do you think about the Michael Jordan clip?

George and Becky.
πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚