It’s Started!

52

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Genius Hour | Posted on March 6, 2015

There was much excitement in 5/6 Team this morning and someone was even heard to exclaim “No more sleeps!!!” Students began setting equipment up and getting organised well before the bell even rang. Why?

The reason was…. *drum roll*

Genius Hour

Today was the first of our ten hours working on a project of our own choice. There are only two rules in Genius Hour:

1. You have to learn something new

2. You must have something to present at our Genius Hour exhibition.

Genius Hour started with the search-engine giant, Google. Google let its workers spend 20% of their time working on any project that they wanted. The idea was simple – let people work on something that interests them and they will work harder on their other work. Google’s policy has worked so well that it has been said that 50% of Google’s projects have been created during ‘Genius Hour’. Ever heard of Gmail or Google News? These projects are creations by passionate developers that blossomed from their Genius Hour projects. To read more about Genius Hour, click HERE.

Over the next nine weeks we will spend an hour a week working on our project. Mrs Placek and Miss Crowther will guide us, but we have to do most of the organising, planning, problem solving, creating and learning.

This week part of our homework was to talk to our families about ideas for Genius Hour and complete a basic plan for our projects. Today in class we started work using these ideas.  Some of the projects we are working on are:

* Blogs

* Ball tunnel (this will end up in our play ground for everyone to use)

* A mobile vegetable garden

* Magic Tricks

* Rebuilding a motor

* Sewing, embroidery, knitting

* A goat carriage

* A wooden table

IMG_5364 IMG_5365

If you could spend an hour a week working on anything, what would it be? Why?

We loved hearing about what Badyn learnt while rebuilding his electric car during Genius Hour today. He hopes to finish his project and get it going again in no time 🙂

Hi Megyn,

Thanks for commenting on our class blog! I saw what Badyn was doing and I thought it was a fabulous idea, for him at least. I mean, I couldn’t have redone a motor of a remote controlled car!

I think it great to have Genius Hour- it’s really fun 🙂

From Bailey F

Hi Megyn

I’m still doing the RC car and I hope I get it working again.

From Badyn

How exciting, Genius Hour is back

Wow these children look so engaged in their projects. I can’t wait to see what ideas the class comes up with. I would like to know how many years has the Genius Hour been running ?

Hi Philippa,

Thank you for commenting on our blog! I love doing Genius Hour because it’s so much fun! Genius Hour only started last year at UPPS. This is our third round.

I can’t wait to see the finished projects!

Got to go
Ebony

Hi Philippa,

Thank you for your comment. Everyone was so excited to be starting Genius Hour. I’m surprised people got so much done.

The projects are all very interesting and I can’t wait until they’re finished!

To answer your question, Genius Hour started last year, but we did it twice. We all enjoyed it so we are going to do another two Genius Hours this year.

I hope Genius Hour will be enjoyed by everyone, like last year.

Happy Blogging
From Kaitlyn

HI MUM!!!

I asked one of my classmates and they said it started at school last year.

Bye,
Ella.:):D:D I:)>

Hi class!

I’m so glad Genius Hour has begun. Genius hour is one of my favourite hours of the weak. I really enjoy it.

I am doing magic tricks. It was very hard to think of an idea as I have already done a modal of the MCG and a sports blog which is still going. The link to it is: http://upps56team.global2.vic.edu.au/.

Happy Blogging 🙂
From Bailey 😉

For Edward
Hi 5/6 Team.
Genius hour sounds like heaps of fun. I have been looking for info on Goat Chariots. I saw an image of one that was like a trotting sulky. It looked lightweight on the image.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXZgmHnRlCrmhs3oasWgLcO2HeOklD_h_Cz0ov-GpMtCrAb6mr
If I could spend an hour a week doing something, it would be writing a novel, for sure!
Have fun everyone
Dearna

Hi everyone,

Genius Round Three- wow!! I only seems like a month or two ago when we completed Round Two!

For Genius Hour last year I did two sewing projects- Round One was an apron, oven mit and appliqued tea towel and Round Two was a dress called the Penny Dress which I made for my younger sister, Bonnie. Both were made with the help of my Grandma and her friend Edna. It was LOADS of fun.

It looks like this year there are going to be some new ideas for Round Three- I am excited to see how the goat carriage will turn out. Who thought of that idea and what will it be used for?

If I had the chance to do another Genius Hour this year in my spare time, I would choose to do something involving sewing AND woodwork. I would use my sewing skills on something based around wood, that way I would be able to learn some woodwork skills with some stylish finishing touches with fabric. What types of things are people making with fabric?

I look forward to continuing to see the progress in your Genius Hour projects- I have no doubt all your projects will shine at the Genius Hour Exhibition!

Happy Blogging! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Chelsea

Hello everybody,
I am so excited I am apart of this great project this year. It is my first year and I am making a domino effect. I think it will be great if I finish it and It turns out well for the exhibition. 🙂 at the end of the domino effect I want it to pour out a liquid into a cup!

see ya,
Campbell
a
m
p
b
e
l
l

Hello everybody,

I am so exited that Genius Hour has started again this year. 🙂

I am building a flower box. At the start I had some struggles sticking the wood together. 🙁 But, I figured out that I needed to put something heavy on the bottom of the box.

HAPPY BLOGGING MONTH
bye for now 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂
Breeanna

Hello everyone,

I can’t wait to get started on my project. Everyone was so excited to hear that Genius Hour was back again. Everyone had to think of their own ideas.

This Genius Hour Round 1. I am making a big hair clip board like all of my aunty’s boards she makes. She made one for me but because I get so many hair clips off her my board is full and I need a bigger one! On Monday I went and bought a big canvas to make my hair clip board out of. When I am finished making it I will go to my aunty’s house and get her to teach me how to make a hair clip and I will make some.

I chose to do this because I always wear hair clips in my hair and I think I will get many more hair clips and I will have no where to put them if I didn’t make a new bigger one.

Have fun blogging! 🙂
From Olivia

Hi everyone,
I cant believe that genius hour has stared and I can’t wait to get started on my project.

I had to choose it would be a decoration for my room.
I’ll do this because I got a new shelf for my birthday and my room isn’t decorated yet.

I hope everyone has a good idea for their genius hour project.

Bye
Alani

Hello everyone,

Genius Hour is a great way to work on something that you have a passion for and there are many benefits! You can learn new skills, you get to do something that you will enjoy and no one can tell you how it’s done because it’s all up to you!

If I could spend an hour a week working on anything I would work on a blog that will focus on the mind and understanding of things. I would do this so I could change the way people look at things in life.

What would you like to see someone make for Genius Hour?

Mia 🙂 🙂

Hi Mia,

What a good question!

I would like to see someone make something that will benefit the school (something that the school will be able to use.)

Happy Blogging! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Chelsea

Hi everyone,

It’s Brent and George.

I, Brent, am making a table out of wood and metal.
I, George, am making a little basketball ring for my little sister Matilda. She wants it to be pink so I will make it pink.

Got to go,
Brent and George

Hello 5/6 Team,

I can’t wait to see the finished projects even though we’ve just started. It’s great to see everyone so excited. I have already seen some great projects and it’s our first week. I can’t wait to see what everybody comes up with.

If I could spend one hour, every week, on a project I would make a kombi van model. I love Kombi vans and hippie stuff and I am making my room a hippie room with tie-dye tapestry, ying yang stuff, Kombi van merchandise and a ‘tumblr’ wall so if I made that it would really fit in with the theme. I think I might make that in round 2.

Got to go,
Tayla-Jade

Hi everyone,

What you have been doing looks fun. I liked looking at it because I have not been here.

See you later.

Bailey D

Hello,

I’m really excited about Genius Hour this year.

If I wasn’t building a goat chariot I would probably be spending my time fixing the new remote control cars and then if I finished that I would probably make a jump for them.

Have fun,
Edward

Hi 5/6 Team,
I love how we are doing Genius Hour. I am making a dolls house and I think that is a great idea. I am making it out of wood and I am painting it pink, green, a tan colour, white and light blue.

EMMA:) 🙂 🙂

Hi 5/6 Team,

I like how you did a plan and I can already make a connection to the plan. With the plan I did a plan at home but I left it there so I had to make a new plan at school where I can’t forget it.

I like all of your ideas for Genius Hour and I wish I did some of those but I did a Tennis Court and it is so hard for me to do but I am getting through it.

If I did something at home I would make a headband with just doing knitting. Why? Because I love knitting.

What are you making?

From Aimee

Hey 5/6 team,

It’s Emily.

I really enjoy genius hour and working on my project. I’m making a blog, so please visit it.
My blog gives me the new on the computer to type, get better at fixing and getting on to things with the computer and actually not forgetting my username and password!

The next time we do genius hour I am itching to make a skirt, maybe a cardigan or possibly a hat!

Gotta go now bye!
Emily

To year 5/6,
This year has been amazing so far and I miss everyone. I would have really enjoyed doing Genius Hour but I am doing something similar. It is called IP (independent project) where we have to study and present an oral report about. As much as I like my new school, Upper Plenty will still be my fave school.

From Lily 🙂

Hi Lily,

Hope you’re having a great time at your new school!

Have you made any new friends and if so what are their names?

Have you got a huge playground?

Thanks for reading

Bye,
Xavier

Hi Lily,

I just want to ask you some questions. Firstly, how is your new school? Secondly, do you have a friend? Finally, what has been your fave subject?

Hope you have had good times at your school. Bye!

From Jason

Hello Lily,

It’s great to see everyone that has either moved or gone to high school who have come back to see our blog and comment. It’s good to hear from all of you!

Some questions about your new school:
1. How is your new school?
2. What would be your favourite subject?
3. What is your teacher’s name?
4. What do you play at recess and lunch?
5. What is different between UPPS and your new school?

I will leave you to answer all of those questions and I hope you are having a great time!

Thanks again for your comment. 🙂 😀
Olivia

Hey 5/6s,
Who knew Genuis Hour was so popular? LOL (that could be my signature blogging word!).
I was wondering what a ball tunnel was! It sounds fun and I’m guessing it’s for younger kids! 🙂

I’ve read all of your comments and everything sounds awesome! I really like how George is making a mini basketball ring for Matilda!
Brent’s table sounds a lot like some things he made last year! It’s great you’re continuing the theme again this year!
Edward – your goat chariot sounds so cool! How big will it be?
Olivia’s hair clip board sounds really useful! Is you’re Aunty going to help you make it?
Badyn’s idea of re creating a motor must be tricky! Did you have to plan it out really carefully?
Bailey – are you making your own magic tricks or learning to do others? Will you put on a show at the Genius Hour Exhibition?
Campbell’s idea of a domino effect sounds so cool! What do you plan to use?
Ebony, Aimee and Natasha – what sort of creative stuff are you doing?
And Breeanna, your flower box sounds super pretty! Will you decorate it with paint? I had an idea you could use chalkboard paint so you can write what flowers you’re growing!

What is everyone else doing?

If I could work on something for an hour a week doing absoloutely anything – I would definitely take pictures of UPPS and edit them and turn it all into a beautiful collage!
Got to go! 🙂
Eve

Hello Eve,

It’s great to see all of your comments on our blog. It’s so good to see you have been on our blog and left lots of comments.

With my hair clip board I will supply my own things and do it all on my own but if I need some help I will ask my aunty.

I am doing it a bit differently to my auntie’s ones. She only does one piece of fabric so I decided to make it a challenge for me to do different fabrics. To stick the fabric on the back I use a staple gun and to stick all of the fabrics into one big fabric piece I am using black washi tape. (If you dont know what washi tape is, it’s tape with different colours and patterns. You can get in many different sizes.)

I hope everyone’s Genius Hour projects turn out great and are finished for the exhibition. I can’t wait to put all of my hair clips on my new hair clip board!

Great to hear from you again!
Happy blogging! 🙂 🙂
Olivia

Hi Eve,
Thanks heaps for commenting on our class blog! It’s good that you are still posting comments 🙂 Do you still have your personal blog?
About MY project…. with my magic tricks, I am learning them and at the exhibition I will do a show. I will not be sharing the secrets but, yeah, I will be doing a show.

Before I leave I have ONE question, well, two….
At your school, do you have any exciting subjects that not many other schools would have? What is your favourite subject?

Happy Blogging, 🙂
From Bailey

Hi Bailey,

To answer your first question – yes, but no. I am so busy with homework, I barely have time to answer and post comments on your class blog, let alone manage my own blog!

Your magic tricks sound awesome!

For your second question, we have economics (which is for the older students), which is a bit like our previous inquiry topic of Earn and Learn (without the fun bits! 🙁 We also do a wider range of sports in PE like tennis (with proper rackets and on proper courts) and use javellins (a long stick with a metal point on the end). Also, we have CAS, which are activities for Year 11s and 12s to do after school – so you can earn a specific amount of points to basically pass Year 11 and 12. As well as that, we do IB (Year 11 and 12 again!), which is like VCE.

For your third question, my favourite subject is English or SOSE (Humanities/Geography). I really like my teachers too!

What are you enjoying this year?

Eve 🙂

Hello Eve,

I was doing a cross stich but it was too hard for me so now I am making some bunting. I have started to cut it out.

Next Genius Hour I would like to do some sewing on the machine and make an owl door stop.

If you do Genius Hour again what will you do? aWhy?

From Tash 🙂

Hey Natasha (or Tash!),
I think your bunting will look awesome!!!
What colours do you plan to use and where will you put them?
I would take lots of pictures of the school and make it into a collage, because that is something I’d enjoy to do!
Have fun!
Eve

Hi Eve,

How are you? For Genius Hour I am doing a doll’s house. At the moment I think it looks pretty cool.

At the moment grade 5/6 is COOL and AWESOME!!!!!!!

I have 23 or more Clean Up Coupons, Behaviour Bucks and Homework Hoorahs. At the moment I have only bought a picture frame! A couple of days ago there was this Smiggle thing. I had 19 Homework Hoorahs, Behaviour Bucks and Clean Up Coupons. Olivia had 21 of them. I went from 6 to 10 to 12 to 15 and to 18. Olivia went from 7 to 11 to 13 to 16 and then 18. I think if I went to 19 she would have gone to 20 or 21.

Hope you have a great weekend!!!:):):)

From Emma

Hi Emma!
Thanks for your awesome comment!
A doll’s house sounds awesome!
Will you let your sisters play with it when its done?
Well done on getting so much money to spend at Auction!
Have a happy easter!
Eve 🙂

Hi 5/6team,

I think Genius Hour is AWESOME!

I like how everybody works as a team on projects and helps each other! I also like how everybody stays focused and on task!

From Xavier

BYE!!!

Hi everyone

I am making a blog on Minecraft with seeds and apps so you can get commands and I you can get blocks like glowing obsidian. It should be good.

From Bailey 🙂

Hi 5/6team!

Hi guys looks like everything is going great over there. You are all doing such a great job so far. I miss you all so much. High school is awesome but I can’t wait to see you all again! I hope all is well.
Bye for now
Alicia

Hey everyone its Tanyshah,
I just wanted to say hi and to say that I miss everyone and that I hope to visit soon. All of your genius hour projects look really good so far. Hope you are all having fun and I hope to see you soon 🙂
From Tanyshah! 🙂

Hi everybody,

It is great that this year I am apart of Genius Hour. I am so excited that it has started. After my brother and sister, Chelsea and Bailey, made the models and their clothing last year I have been waiting for it to finally start so I can get a turn.

As you may already know, I am making a marble domino effect. It is a bit hard to explain but here is a link to a video or two to help you understand the project a bit more. enjoy!!!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osLnOljLjRI Here is another one. Or maybe not. I couldn’t find it. If you want to look at some more cool domino effected videos go to Youtube and type in domino effect.

By the way, thank you to all those people that helped out trying to make a domino passage. You definitely gave me some ides and I will hopefully use them on my proper project on the black board. I could keep writing about this all day but I think I might end it in 3 words, no 6, oh lets just get to the point.

Thanks again to those people who helped,
Happy Blogging,
Another point to me,
Let’s just end this comment.

CAMPBELL

P.S The things I will use will be marbles, woolworths dominoes (it would be great if you could donate a few), tubes, and that’s about it. 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 😉 .

CAMPBELL. 🙂

P.P.S THIS COMMENT COULD JUST KEEP GOING!!! It is not time to pack up yet so I don’t want to finish this comment and then go into the middle of one and not finish it.

But guess what? We need to pack up now, so, I guess it is goodbye for now,
aster-lavister everyone, (well for the moment anyhow)

Campbell 🙂

Hi 5/6 Team,

How are you?

I like Genius Hour.

Texas is good.

From Leo

Hi Leo,

Great to hear from you! Thank you for visiting our blog and leaving a comment.

How is school over in Texas? What are some of the things that are the same as UPPS and what are some of the things that are different?

Next week is the last week of school before our two week holiday break. Do you have holidays at Easter time too?

We really hope you write back and visit our blog often!

From 5/6 Team 🙂

Hi 5/6 Team,

I hope everyone finishes their Genius Hour project and has lots of fun doing it.

From Daniel 🙂

Hello everyone,

I am thinking that if I have time I will make something out of wood. It will be small but still cool but I might not have time. I hope I have time.

From Michael

To 5/6 Team,

I like how you put photos of the people doing their Genius Hour project. It sounds like everyone is having a lot of fun doing their Genius Hour project. 🙂

I like all the things that people are doing. I also like the words that you put down on our blog on what some people are doing. I like these ones and I wish I had done them. Blogs, magic tricks, sewing, embroidery and knitting. 🙂

What I am doing for Genius Hour is a Tennis Court and it is hard but doing one of the blogs or knitting would not be so hard. The tennis court I am doing is really hard.

Some of the things that people are doing sound hard like what I am doing like: a mobile vegetable garden, rebuilding a motor, building a goat carriage and a wooden table. 🙂

I hope everyone enjoys doing their Genius Hour project at school. 🙂

What are you doing for Genius Hour? 🙂

From Aimee 🙂 😀

Hello everyone,

I like to visit your blog.

How is Genius Hour going so far? I can’t wait to visit your Genius Hour exhibition and see your lovely work. I hope my class will be doing Genius Hour very soon.

If I could make anything I would build a go kart because I have always wanted to build one to go down hills. I hope you have fun this term in Genius Hour.

What are you building for Genius Hour?

From Jason

Hi everyone

How is genius hour ? I love genius hour as much as I love math. I think genius hour is a great idea.

From Faith

Dear Miss. Crowther and Mrs. Placek,
This seems like a really cool idea! I would have loved to do this when I was younger.
Sincerely,
Radha T

Hi

I think that Genius Hour is great and that the grade 3s can’t wait to do it because it is fun and you can make anything you want like blogs, jumps and lots of other things.

That’s all from me.

See you later.

From Bailey D

Hi Everybody!

How are you all?

Well who knew that Genius Hour was so popular? Well, I do now! If I was doing Genius Hour I would make a recipe book, with meals and desserts. What are you making?

In art at Hazel Glen we are doing self portraits. I am making my face with a magical background!

We also have a science lab and at the moment we are using the bunsen burners. You’re probably thinking what is that? Well, it’s where you can put it on the safety flame and you can swipe your hand through it, but when you put it on the hot flame you can’t! What are you doing in art and science?

I will now tell you my teachers…
My home group teacher is Mrs Watson!
English – Mr Mcgough and Miss Bodycoat
Maths – Miss Whiteside and Mrs Watson
Humanities / History – Miss Bodycoat and Mr Mcgough
Pep / Values – Miss Bodycoat and Miss Myers
Health/PE – Mr Baker and Miss Dwight
Sport – Mr Baker and Miss Dwight
Mandarin – Mr Ho
Visual Art – Miss James
Performing Arts – Miss Simmonds
Science – Miss Whiteside and Mrs Watson

My favourite subject is visual arts! In school we use our iPads! What is your favourite subject?

Happy holidays and Easter

From Olivia

Hi Olivia,

It is great to hear from you! Thank you for visiting our blog and leaving a comment. We hope you keep in touch with us throughout the year! 🙂

I think if I was able to do my own Genius Hour project I would like to write a book or maybe learn how to use a new computer program or app. Have you got any apps to recommend?

It sounds like you are really enjoying your new school, especially visual arts.

Happy holidays and Easter to you too! I hope the Easter bunny visits you!!! 🙂

Miss Crowther