March is Family Blogging Month!

23

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Literacy, School Event | Posted on March 4, 2015

March is Family Blogging Month at Upper Plenty P.S!

We originally found out about this great idea from Mrs Yollis in America and really enjoyed it when we did it back in 2012. This time, it is even more exciting because our whole school is joining in!

Every time a student’s family member or friend leaves a comment on the blog, the family earns a point. You can earn a point for new comments every day. If the same person leaves more than one comment on the same day it only counts as one point.

Commenting is easy! Just scroll down to the end of this post and click on

Continue Reading

Scroll down and write your comment in the box.

Untitled-2358rgf-300x236

When you are ready, type in the anti spam word and click submit. YourΒ comment won’t appear instantlyΒ because it has to be approved. You can also click the ‘Reply’ button to reply to a comment that has already been left.

If you’re not sure what to write in your comment, Mrs Yollis has some advice.

Below is a table showing how many families have been busy commenting on our blog so far. Click on it to make it easier to read.

Blog Challenge 3.4

We love readingΒ and replying to your comments and look forward to hearing from you soon!

What do you like most about blogging?

What would you like us to add to our blog?

Hi 5/6 Team,
We are so excited about family blogging month. So far two families have already submitted 7 comments each! Can you guess who those families were? I love blogging because it is a quick and easy way to get a message across. We have a great calendar and I love how parents can get another note if they need one.

I think my favourite thing about blogging is making photo peaches. They are always so easy and I love choosing different music with the class.

I think your blog is fantastic! I was wondering though, do you have a class mascot I could see as a virtual friend?

Hope to hear more about your blog soon.
From, Miss Varker c/o 3/4V

I like blogging because it is the next best thing to being in the class. I can read and see what you are doing which is great because my job gets busier and busier and the chances to get out of the office seem few and far between at times. Reading your blogs really brightens up my day and reminds me that I am doing all of the work I have to do so you can do the wonderful things you do. So it is all worth it!

Hello 5/6s,

I love the idea of family blogging month! It was so much fun three years ago!

Blogging is so much fun! I always look forward to reading about our class and other classes. My favourite thing about blogging is reading about other classes and what they’re doing!

It’s really hard to think of something to add to our blog I think it’s pretty good. Maybe a count down to camp or something cool we’re doing.

Got to go
Ebony

Hello 5/6 team,

This is a good idea because it encourages everyone to go on our blog and other blogs. It is great to see that so many people are contributing already.

Mrs Yollis’ grade came up with some great tips to help make a quality comment. A tip that I really liked was to try and start a conversation. Its also a great idea to have a step by step procedure of how to comment.

The thing I like most about blogging is that you can interact with people from all around the world or even just people in your classroom. It’s great to be talking to people from America, England, and even our own country, Australia!

I think we should add a Voki, countdown to camp, clock of different times around the world, a quiz tab about our blog and posts written by students (like when we do the newsletter).

I better go,
Tayla-Jade

Hello,
What I like about blogging is when I get to post on every blog at this school.

I think you should make a post about sport and how much fun we are having.

I like how you have put a video of advice from Mrs Yollis’ class.

From Aimee

Hi 5/6 Team, Miss Crowther & Mrs Placek,
I loved doing Family Blogging Month with my students last year. I think it really helped get families involved in blogging. Some family members are unsure about blogging because they’ve never seen it before – it sure wasn’t around when I was in school! I found Family Blogging Month a great way to teach families about blogging and expose them to the benefits.
Good luck this month. Can this comment count as a point for everyone in 5/6?
From Miss Fraser & The Learning Lizards

Hello Miss Fraser and Learning Lizards!

It is great to hear from you πŸ™‚

I think blogging month is great too! It is a good way to communicate and, well, fun!!!

I think that what you said is a great idea. I reckon it should count as a point for the whole class.

Thankyou for commenting on our blog! This is the address for my blog: http://baileyssportsblog.global2.vic.edu.au/

From Bailey

P.S Another point for my family!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰

Hi Bailey,
Thanks for replying!
I’m not sure if Miss Crowther has told you but your class has something in common with my class. We will both be attending Camp Allambee this year at around the same time! It would be interesting to compare what each class thinks about camp after attending.
I have seen many comments from your family members – keep up the great work! Do you have to share points with Campbell?
I can’t wait to see how many comments Family Blogging Month will generate in total! Good luck to whoever has the huge task of keeping tally!
From Miss Fraser

Hi Miss Fraser,
I did not know that we are both going to Allambee Camp around the same time. It would be great to meet each other, so I am looking forward to it πŸ™‚
You are right! My family is doing lots of comments. Campbell’s comments count as mine and his (we are basically a team!)
See you at camp,
From Bailey πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

The thing i really like about blogging is that it is a great way to get feedback and new ideas for projects, as well as providing us parents with information on what you guys have been up to.
Keep it up 5/6 team. Get your families blogging.

Hey class,

Just another daily comment for the month πŸ™‚

I think blogs are amazing. It’s a good way to communicate and keep up to date with information. I have a blog and I am really enjoying having it. If you would like to see it (it’s all about sport) here is the address: http://baileyssportsblog.global2.vic.edu.au/

My favourite thing about blogging is that it is really a ‘chatting’ thing and it’s more a ‘keep up to date with stuff and read stuff that other people have written’ thing!

I think our class blog is great- nothing needs to change!

Got to go,
From Bailey πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰

Hello bloggers,

Blogging is my favourite reading task to do in class. Having blogging month I think it puts lots of families blogging on different blogs, which makes the sake of a blog a whole lot funner. (Maybe not for the teachers who have to approve 10x comments more than they normally have to.-Great job teachers πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Blogging month and blogging are great ideas, and whoever come up with this idea is a genius!!! Having blogging month you can already see the big difference of more comments being put on the blog.

Happy blogging πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰

Campbell

I like to read the blogs from upps 5/6’s. I find them interesting and well presented. I really enjoyed the footy clinic blog and video.

Thanks to all 5/6’s
Anne

I remember this challenge. I didn’t realise it was in 2012, it doesn’t feel like that much time has passed.
Happy Blog Challenge UPPS students, families and friends.
From Kerry

Hi 5/6 Team,

I’m so excited that family blogging month is back! I think this year’s one is going to be great (and very big!)

The one thing I love most about blogging is the opportunities it gives you. I agree with Tayla-Jade when she said she enjoys interacting with others around the world. Technology is tops (when you know how to use it!)

To improve your blog for Family Blogging Month I suggest you could try and find a widget that has a live tally of when someone from the students family posts a comment (but in an anonymous way). For example, after this comment has been submitted, a point will get added to my brothers’ section of the tally. If Bob comments on his sister’s blog, a point gets added to his sister’s section of the live tally. Has anybody seen a widget like this before?

I look forward to continuing to blog on your blog!

Happy Blogging! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Chelsea

P.S: Great tips for blogging Mrs Yollis’ class!

Hi 5/6 Team,

I liked looking at the pictures about the footy clinic.

I wish I was there. It looked like you had a lot of fun, did you?

Sorry but I have got to go.

From Beau :):):):)

Oh my gosh, I am sitting here watching better homes and gardens and my email keeps beeping on my phone telling me someone else has just posted on your blog. There are some great comments and ideas coming through. I have no idea what a widget is Chelsea but it sounds pretty cool, and something I might have used via programs such as excel and microsoft access devising formulas to pick up information from different programs or spreadsheets on your computer.
I am sure our 5/6 team are clever enough to design a widget for this blogging project. Maybe the 5/6 team could continue the blogging project over the whole year so you can see the widget really get a workout. Another idea…. sell the widget to the other classes as a little fundraiser!!! Have a fun weekend blogging everyone.

Hi Andrea,

A widget is a little ‘app’, I guess you could call it, that is on the side of your blog posts. See ‘Wonderopolis wonders’ and ‘Learn Indonesian’ on the side of the blog? Well, those are all widgets. It is great to now see the camp count down widget too that has recently been added.

Hope everyone is having a great long weekend!

Happy Blogging! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Chelsea

Hi Miss Crowther and Mrs Placek,
This year I think we should have the two of our class pets on the side as a widget. I also think we should get a voki, countdown for camp, pop a jokes and maybe you can try and find some new ones to put on to add some more exciting for our readers.

CAMPBELL πŸ™‚

Hey dude, it’s Brian here.

I like the idea of the class pets. The only thing is that some people can’t go near some things but otherwise, I think it’s a good idea.

If you didn’t know, the countdown for camp has added to our blog.

From Brian.

Hey Brian,

First of all, I did not mean a real class pet, I meant a class pet that we can add on our blog!!!

But still, even if we did have a class pet like a fish or another sea animal I think it will be AWESOME! We would definitely not want a shark swimming around our classroom. πŸ™‚ πŸ™

We could maybe bring this up at a class meeting.

Thanks for replying,
From your mate,
CAMPBELL!!! πŸ™‚

Hi boys,
It’s great to see that you’re having a conversation!

I agree with both of you- Campbell didn’t really mean a real pet but that actually is a great idea! I think we should get some sort of sea animal too. Here are some pets we could actually have:
– a gold fish
– a great white shark
– a cat fish
– a sea lion
– a yabby
– a whale of some sort
– a dolphin
– an under water cow
– a swimming raccoon (without rabies)
– a turtle

And that’s about it!

Anyway, like you said Campbell, we don’t want a shark swimming around in our class room, we actually should. We could get a whole aquarium and have heaps of fish (and land animals) swimming in water! If we do this, it would probably be on the front page of the Herald Sun, and then we would be famous- ‘wouldn’t it be nice.’

Instead of having a sea animal we could actually have a land animal. Here are a few suggestions for that:
– a rabbit
– an elephant
– a lion
– a guinea pig
– a giraffe [not a draft (Mrs Placek will get this)]
– a deadly snake
– a rat (I don’t know how Mrs Placek and Miss Crowther will go about that)
– a spider

And that’s about it!

Anyway I hope you like my great suggestions πŸ™‚
Got to go,
From Bailey

P.S If you don’t like any of my suggestions I am very sorry about that.

Astla- lavista everyone

P.P.S If you don’t know what that means- it means good- bye.
πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Hi 5/6 Team,
I agree with you Chelsea. That would be great if we had a widget with a live tally. Also with you Campbell having a countdown for camp. They are both great ideas πŸ™‚
Have a good time blogging πŸ™‚
From Bailey