A Football Clinic with ‘The Bombers’

29

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Special Event, Sport | Posted on February 25, 2015

We are focusing on recounts in writing at the moment. So, recounting our recent excursion is a perfect opportunity for us toΒ share ourΒ recount writing skills with our blogging friends! We wrote most of this text as a whole class earlier today in our writing whole class focus.

Football Clinic

On Tuesday 24th February we travelled to an oval in Broadford for a football clinic. A dozen players from an AFL club named Essendon Football Club met us there and taught us new skills.

Our day started with a 20 minute bus trip. When we arrived we noticed footy players waiting patiently in their cars. We also discovered an oval filled with footballs, cones, handball targets and tackling bags.

Students from local schools assembled in the centre of the oval and the players introduced themselves. We heard from the players who included David Zaharakis, Paul Chapman, Dustin Fletcher, Adam Cooney, Brent Stanton, Tom Bellchambers, Joe Daniher and Heath Hocking.

We kicked off the morning with an activity called ‘Sink the Boat’. Some students had to handball the balls out of the boat (inside of the white cones) and other students had to handball them back in.

We spent four minutes at each station. The second station was designed to practise handballing. Teams stood on each side of a square. Inside the square was a giant tennis ball which we had to knock by hitting it with a football. The idea was to keep the tennis ball away from your team.

???????????????????????????????

We made our way around to six other stations. Activities included handballing a ball through a target and kicking practice. There were alsoΒ tackling stations which were pretty popular, especially as we are not allowed to bump or tackle at school!

Watch the video below to see us in action.

We were very lucky to meet the people we normally only get to see on TV or playing at big venues. We never usually get to talk to them, let alone have them show us skills and drills, sign our shirts or pose for photos.

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????
Lots of people made it possible for us to participate in the clinic. Thank you to…
* Miss Fenech for organising for us to attend the clinic
* Rosie and Frank for being our parent helpers
* Parents who dropped in to see us
* Players from Essendon Football Club
* Organisers from the AFL

We had a wonderful day and would have loved to stay and play for longer.

Do you follow a football team? Which one?

Have you participated in a sports clinic before? Tell us about it!

What do you think of our recount writing skills?

Wow! What a wonderful school day! How lucky we were to have the best team in the league as well, that was a bonus! In case you didn’t realise, I’m a bombers fan.
You might not have realise it but Mr Steve Pink, who is the principal of Broadford PS, actually organised for the club to come to Broadford and generously offered to involve other schools. It might not be a bad idea to write him a thank you letter and perhaps send him a copy of the recount. I am sure that he would love that. Glad you enjoyed your day. Go the Bombers!!!!

Hi everyone, it is Brian here.

The sport clinic was superb! I think that is was great that the players that came were all well know by most of the boys that are really into football. The players that I liked the best were Paul Chapman and Adam Cooney because Paul has won three grand finals and Adam has won a Brownlow medal.

The A.F.L side that I follow is CARLTON! The reason I follow Carlton is because my pa, dad and little brother Shane (who is at this school in 2/3P) all follow Carlton too.

The only A.F.L clinic that I can remember is this one! But still out side of school and once a year some Essendon players come and give as a little training session. I have done two of the sessions with Essendon before. So if that counts as a sport clinic, yes I have been to one before, but otherwise no, I haven’t.

I think that our skill are really good. I love the idea that in the recount you can click onto a player’s name and then it goes to the Essendon Football Club’s web page. I liked the idea so much I clicked onto a few name to see what came up on the screen!

Bye for now, have to go πŸ˜‰
Brian

Hello world,

I liked going to the football clinic. It would have been even better if Hawthorn ran it. πŸ™‚

I barrack for a football team and it is the MIGHTY FLYING HAWKS. They are the AFL team who have won the last two premierships πŸ™‚ They better win this year too! πŸ˜‰ My brothers barrack for Essendon and Carlton, my mum and dad barrack for Crows and Essendon. I am the odd one out. πŸ™

I have participated in the Essendon Football Club clinic and it was fun. We missed out on half our day at school πŸ™‚ but then we got back to school and did work as usual. πŸ™

Over and out.
George πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰

Hello 5/6 Team,

I don’t barrack for Essendon but it was still a great experience. I love footy and at Christmas Eve Celebrations or birthdays our family usually play footy. It’s really entertaining.

My dad’s side and I support Collingwood, my brother and his dad’s side go for Essendon, mum doesn’t really support any team but occasionally she will watch a game, one of my cousins barrack for the Bulldogs and my pop on my dad’s side barracks for the Hawks.

I have done a sports clinic before.

I think 5/6 team’s recounting skills are great!

Got to go,
Tayla-Jade

Hi 5/6 Team,

I read the whole thing I wish I was there. But, since I don’t go for Essendon I don’t really care too much. If any of you want to know, I go Collingwood and…

IT’S BETTER THAN ANY OTHER TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Brayden

Hi 5/6 team,

I would love to try Australian football. It looks so much fun.

I just started rugby and that’s fun. I think Australian football is a bit like rugby but it looks a bit harder.
Right now we have a coach teaching us tag rugby since we are doing a tag rugby tournament. Are you going to do an Australian football match and if so, do you think you can send some pictures?

From Louis.

Hi year 5/6 team,

I support Liverpool football club (soccer team). I prefer to play rugby than football (soccer) but I do lots of sports. At the moment we have a coach (teacher) to teach us rugby. I have never have been to a clinic though. I have been to lots of rugby stadiums to watch matches and at half time play on the pitch. πŸ™‚

From Kyle, @ A room with a view class 3

Hi there 5/6 team

The football you play is very different to what we play. I support Manchester united. They are fourth in the Premier league (English league). I have been to watch them about eleven times and most of the time they win! πŸ˜‰
They aren’t doing very well this season; they have got a new manager.

From Michael

Hello 5/6 team,

I have been to a sports clinic before to learn football (soccer). I played lots of games like you did and learnt how to dribble around cones, played football tennis and learnt lots of good warm-ups.

I support Sunderland. They are in the premier league (English first division). I have been to watch them about 15 times. Last season they performed a miracle to not get relegated. I think they will have to do it this season again as they are not doing the best.

From Will πŸ™‚

Hey Will! πŸ™‚

It’s great to hear from you! It has been a while since I have spoken to you last (which was on your blog on your blog).

I don’t really follow soccer (football) but I don’t really mind it. But it looks like I go for Sunderland now in the English premier league! I looked at the fixture and it says they are playing in approximately 11 hours (this is from when I sent this comment which was at 7:35 PM here in Australia!!)

Do you follow the cricket? I do and I am really excited about the ICC cricket world cup that is on at the moment! It is annoying that the Australia V Bangladesh game was washed out! What was even worse was we lost to New Zealand (not that I thought we were going to win). New Zealand is a great team anyhow. I love how Brendon Mccullum plays! He smashes the ball like wild!!! Anyway there is no point talking about it if you don’t like cricket, I wonder if you do?

So, good luck to Sunderland in the premier league this season!

Before I go I would just quickly like to thank you for commenting on the 5/6 Team blog πŸ™‚

From Bailey

Hello 5/6 Team,

This is Bailey here.

I liked the footy clinic because it was good. On the drive there we were all singing something and I would like to go there again. I think I could go with my family next time.

Well, that’s all for me.

Bailey D

Hi,
I reckon the footy clinic was great because all the footy players were there. I loved doing the tackling bags. there is a video of me tackling it hard as. It was a fun day to kick the ball around. Hope we do another one.

Bye for now
From Brent

Hello everyone,

I had good fun at the footy clinic.

From Caleb

Hello 5/6 Team,

I have been in a sports clinic before and it was when I was in the Netball Team. It was really good and fun. I learnt how you turn around and how to get goals for the team.

I do follow a football team and the team that I go for is Collingwood. They are really good players in the team. Collingwood has all the younger kids in the team.

I think that we did a great job doing the recount. It is really good for our recount writing skills for us to be writing on the blog.

From Aimee

Hello everyone, πŸ™‚

I loved the football clinic because we got to met Essendon football (A.F.L) players. πŸ™‚

I cheer for Collingwood in football (A.F.L) but I was still happy to met the Essendon team. πŸ™‚

I only got one signature but I am still happy. πŸ™‚

We got to see 10 Essendon players and do 10 activities with them. πŸ™‚

The activities were kicking goals, handballing at a target, football (A.F.L) tennis, protecting yourself, tackling, bumping, walking backwards and kicking up in the air to yourself. It was really fun. πŸ™‚

The bus was late so we got free time to play football (A.F.L) fro awhile. πŸ™‚

Got to go,
Kind Regards
Becky. πŸ™‚

Hi class,

I really enjoyed doing the Essendon Football Club clinic. I think it was great that we got to do it through school!

I think the recount that we wrote is great! It was good that we all joined in and gave each other opinions to write the one text.

I go for the mighty Bombers!! No other team is better than Essendon in AFL/VFL history. I go for them because:
1. They have equally won the most AFL/VFL premriships
2. My dad, my brother and most of the family go for them

I have been to many other football clinics as well. I have been to a North Melbourne one, four Essendon ones, a Bulldogs one and Collingwood one. It really is great meeting these special players!

Thanks for reading,
From Bailey

Hello 5/6 Team,

Your excursion sounds great! I’m jealous! πŸ™‚

In the AFL, I go for the Western Bulldogs. My mum’s mum and her side of the family always went for them (known as Footscray back in the days). Now Mum, me, Campbell, Bonnie and Chase go for them and Dad and the other two boys go for Essendon.

I have never been to a footy clinic before but I used to do Auskick and once saw North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs train.

How many people in your class go for Essendon?

Happy Blogging! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Chelsea

P.S: Your recount is fantastic!!! πŸ™‚

Hello Chelsea,

Thanks for commenting on our blog. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

I think most of the class enjoyed the footy clinic. I don’t go for Essendon. My dad and I go for the Dees (Demons). My sister, Chloe and my mum go for Essendon. We are not sure what Calleigh, Jacinta and the twins Keira and Natasha go for but hopefully we will soon.

I have never meet anyone from the Dees. I would really like to meet some of them though. At the footy clinic I kicked four goals.

A few people barrack for Essendon but I’m not sure the exact amount.

Thanks again for the comment. πŸ™‚

From Olivia

Hi Louis,

I love playing AFL. I think it is a great game to learn and it is great you want to have a go at it! πŸ™‚ In the AFL I go for the Western Bulldogs

I am not really into rugby or soccer but now and again I don’t mind watching it for a while. As the game goes on I try and work out the rules by what the umpire does.

I also love playing cricket. I am ready to watch Australia vs New Zealand in the world cup. Are you interested in cricket at all?

Lastly, I will try and get some pictures! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

THANKS
From Campbell

Hi 5/6 Team,

I think that the football clinic was great because you got tips about football. I also liked doing the 10 activities. My favorite activity was when we had to kick the football in to the goal.

I wish we could do it all again.

From Emma

Hello 5/6 Team,

I am Tash’s brother, Jason.

I follow the Bombers and the Tigers. Tash follows the Tigers.

At OSH Club we had a excursion and it was fun.

Tash learnt a lot about how to writ an excursion recount. I give it 10/10.

Who is your favourite player in the AFL?

from Tash and Jason.

Looks like the footy clinic was an absolute hoot, spewing I wasn’t there myself!! πŸ™‚
Great to see the Mighty Bombers sent out some big guns too not just fringe players- awesome.
Hope all you kids (and teachers!) had some fun and got something out of it.
From Robbie:)

Hello Everyone,

The footy clinic was REALLY fun! I loved all the different activities we tried on the day. The day turned out well with everyone having a great time.

I follow Geelong Cats. They don’t seem to have been going that well at the moment. Hopefully they pick up their game during the season.

Recount writing is a fun way to tell someone about something you enjoyed or didn’t enjoy.

Happy Blogging!
From Kaitlyn

Hello,
Hope you guys all had fun at the footy clinic. It looked very fun.
Have fun at school!
From Daniel.

Hey Daniel,

It’s great to hear from you!!

I hope that you are having a great time at high school! Are you enjoying it?

We sure did have a great time at our footy clinic too! It was great meeting lots of the players and learning new skills!

Thankyou for commenting on our blog! πŸ™ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚

Goodbye,
From Bailey

Hello,

We all had heaps of fun at the football clinic even if we went for different teams. I really enjoyed the game ‘Sink the Boat’. I was really excited to see Paul Chapman because I go for Geelong Cats and he used to play for them.

I hope we can do something like this again.

Edward

Hi 5/6 team,

It looks like you had a lot of fun at the footy clinic.

I liked the video, but the funniest thing about the video was at the end when Brent almost destroyed the tackling bag.

From Beau

Hi 5/6 Team,

When we had the football day I was so happy that I could play football for a whole day.

I liked it when we got to play ‘Sink the Boat’. It was fun when you got to throw the footballs out of the boat but then the people out of the boat had to throw the footballs back in the boat. The lowest score was nine.

I also liked it when you got to try and get the ball in through the ball in the hoop.

It was a really fun day.

Thank you Miss Crowther and Mrs Placek.

From Aimee πŸ™‚

Hello everyone,

How was it? What did you do there?

From Mac