Homework, Diaries & Organisation

28

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Classroom | Posted on February 22, 2015

Everyone in 5/6 Team has a student (or teacher!) diary. We use our diaries to help us keep track of homework, due dates and events. We also record the book we read each night, one thing about it and how many nights we have read this year.

???????????????????????????????

At the back of our diaries we have ‘5/6 Team’s 40 Book Challenge’ glued in.Β  When we finish reading a book, we decide which category to record it in. Some books fit in many categories so we just pick one. The aim is to have one title written in each box by the end of the year.

Reading is one of the things we do as part of our homework. We are expected to read for at leastΒ 15 minutes five nights a week. We can read books, newsletters, magazines, newspapers, instruction manuals and other texts too.

In addition to our reading homework, throughout the week we have maths homework, inquiry homework and spelling homework. Different homework is given out and due back on different days. We use our diaries to help us meet the deadlines.

Maths is handed out on a Thursday and is due back on a Monday.

Inquiry homework is handed out on a Monday and is due on a Tuesday. It is called ‘Flipped Homework’ because we have to read or watch something so we are ready for Tuesday’s inquiry class.

Spelling homework is handed out on Monday and due back on Friday.

If we are away, any homework or notices for our parents are placed in the pockets shown below.

We have been working hard to set up systems that help our organisational skills.Β  Hopefully, this will make life easier for us and we will always be up to date. It is also good practice for the future when we are at high school and also when we are adults.

What type of homework do you/did you have in your class?

How do you stay organised?

Do you have any tips for us about being organised?

Hello Everyone,

I do not like all types of homework but I like some. Some homework I like is going on the blog, doing a project or something to do with writing. I always try to do my homework the day we get it so it is done and I don’t need to do any homework unless I get more homework.

Some homework that I get in my class is maths homework which is due on Mondays, spelling homework which is due on Fridays and sometimes we get unexpected homework. We also have over ‘Flipped Homework’ which is inquiry homework. It is ‘Flipped Homework’ because it is due on Tuesday and handed out on Monday. We also get finishing off homework if we don’t finish it in class.

At home I have a desk and on my desk I have a calendar to know what I am doing during each month. My mum and dad also have a calendar on the fridge to know where they have to be and what time they have to be there by.

Got to go,
Olivia

Hi 5/6team,

I’m not a big fan of homework but it depends what homework it is. If it’s maths or spelling I’m so not into it but if it’s writing or finishing off things (fun things) I’m so into it!

Some homework we get is finishing off tasks that we didn’t finish in class or we get regular tasks like spelling, writing, home reading and maths.

Some tasks that we get are new that have to be finished on a certain date. Like the front cover of books, draw a picture that goes with the story that you wrote and finishing off our projects.

I stay organised with a timetable in my bag with notes, reminders and more things to keep things easy. I also have a lot of pencil cases, little shelfs and many more objects.

Alani

Well Done 5/6 Team !!! Great organisation ideas there! I personally use a paper diary too. I prefer to see things written down than have them as a phone reminder. It might be a bit old fashioned in the current technology advancing world, but I think if my phone shuts down or stops working I still know where I am meant to be with my paper diary and can stay on track! Have fun learning to be organised and preparing for High School!

Hello Leigh,

I think that all of the organisation ideas we have in our class are good, especially with the grade 6s going to high school next year. It is good for the grade 5s to have two years of all of these organisation ideas. I think that when all of us are in high school we will be very organised and know when or where we are.

I agree with you for the paper diary and mobile phone. I do put some things on my tablet and iPod but I also write everything down in my calendar and diary. If you put everything on your electronics and your electronic is flat, not working or broken and you are meant to be going somewhere you might not remember it and you won’t go to where you are meant to be.

Do you have any organisation ideas for us?

From Olivia

Hello 5/6 Team,

What a great use of organisation skills you have!

Staying organised can be hard for some but I find it a breeze! To stay organised at high school I keep my diary in my laptop bag ready to write in homework reminders for all classes. I also use an app called sticky notes which is on my computer. In addition, to keep all my work and textbooks from each subject together, I use a zip folder so any loose leaf paper can be slid in and carried without falling out.

So far I have had a reasonable amount of homework with just 5 subjects to do homework on for this week. I have to get this stuff finished otherwise detentions will be handed out! What consequences do you have to face if you don’t finish your homework?

A tip I would give you to help stay organized is to do what Olivia and Eve do by doing your homework as soon as you get it. You don’t have to do it all but starting a little bit when it is first handed out gives you time to ask the teacher and questions about the work.

Have fun being organized!!!

Chelsea πŸ™‚

Hi Chelsea,

We do have do stay in and do our work if we don’t finish it. It has not happened to me just yet but it might happen to me.

I like how you told us things about how to stay organized in class. When you said to do a bit of your homework when you get some that is not something I can do because I have to do all my homework.

At my Mum’s and Dad’s house I have to do all my homework before I can do anything which is a bit annoying because I want to watch T.V. By the end I get it done.

From Aimee @ UPPS.

Hi Aimee,
Sometime rules help us to stay organised, don’t they?
Chelsea πŸ™‚

Hi Chelsea,

Rules can help us do things.

I know that in High School there is Homework Club.

How do you do your Homework in High School?
Do you have Homework Club at your School?

From Aimee

Hello Chelsea,

It’s great to hear that you are having fun and enjoying high-school. It really helps to keep organized and do a bit of your homework as soon as you get it. We all miss you. When are you going to come and visit us? I can’t wait.

I like to get all of my homework done a couple of days earlier so I won’t end up behind. Sometimes when you get all of your homework out of the way you have free time to do whatever you want! Especially having as much sport as I do, it is really important to get it done so I can concentrate on the sport I’m playing. Thanks for your tips!

We have to stay inside to do our homework if we don’t hand it in and if we also don’t finish it, but still hand it in.

My brother uses the ‘sticky notes’ on his computer too. They help him to keep track of all of his homework.

Do you get homework for each subject you have? Is the homework easy?

Have you started your languages yet? In 5/6 Team, we have had a few Indonesian lessons already!

Best of luck for the rest of the year. Have fun and keep up the organization.

From Kaitlyn

Hi Kaitlyn,

So far I haven’t got much homework (mind you I did do about 3-4 hours this week and I just got handed a history assignment which I am meant to be doing now- just like Eve- we are so naughty aren’t we?!)

This semester I am doing Italian. It is really great so far. Mum says that in year 10, if I save up some money I can go to the Italy exchange which is in Italy (but right now I need to worry about my year 7 camp coming up on Wednesday!)

Happy Blogging! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Chelsea

Hi Chelsea,

Great to hear from you again. Hopefully you have time to keep commenting on our blog.

I hope you had fun at camp. It sounded really fun.

Are you enjoying Italian? How do you say ‘See you later’ in Italian?

Good luck with the history assignment.

From Kaitlyn

Hey Chelsea,

We all miss you heaps! We miss your creativity and energy towards everything you come upon and having you here in 5/6 Team.

Thanks for the tips – we’ll need them! I’m really nervous about going to high school, because Grade 6 is already being a challenge.

All the grade 5/6s are getting along well.

Anyway, I’m SUPER excited about graduation even though it’s ages away and I’m pretty sure all the grade 6s are too!

If we don’t finish our homework we have to stay in, which I guess isn’t the worst punishment ever but it’s something, isn’t it?

Well that’s all from me for now,
Bye,
Emily.:):):):D:D:D:D:D>:D>:)>:)>

Hi Emily,

Don’t be nervous it will be a breeze if you’re organised! I find it so much fun.

Chelsea πŸ™‚

Hey 5/6s,

Seems weird saying that! LOL! πŸ™‚

Being in High School, you need to have heaps of organisation skills so you know where to go! πŸ™‚

I’m actually supposed to be doing a SOSE (Humanities) assignment right now! OOPS (5/6s, don’t do what I’m doing right now! πŸ™‚ )

I get two or three lots of half an hour work a day. We have Maths (Algebra at the moment), Chinese (DIFFICULT!), PE (Athletics), Health (Equal to Nurse Jenny visits for a whole year!), SOSE (Humanities/Geography and is awesome), English (Writing, Reading mixed together) and Science (we use Bunsen Burners).

Whenever I get homework, I try and finish it that same night, even if it is due a week later! It’s a really good habit to get into. I use my diary a lot as we have to write in when we have homework due, when we have to change rooms because the timetable is wrong ect.

I recommend you use your diary as much as possible! A year 9/10 teacher said that a student is succesful with a good diary, which I think is very good advice!

Missing everyone,
Eve πŸ™‚
P.S Congrats to the elected School Captains and House Captains!

Hey Eve,

It feels like I have not seen you in ages! It sounds like you have to do a lot of things at school.

I went up for House Captain but I did not get it. Then I went up for Junior School Council representative and I got it! I really wanted to be a House Captain but at least I got something.

I hope that Lily and you are okay.

From Emma

P.S Tell Lily that I really, really, really miss her! πŸ™

Hi Emma,
Good job on getting JSC! At my school, we call it SRC – which stands for Student Representative Council.
I hope it’s fun and Lily and I are having fun.
Eve πŸ™‚

Hey Eve,

It must seem weird for you to say ‘Hey 5/6s!’ πŸ™‚

Thanks for the tips. Eve do what you’re meant to be doing!:) (That’s your homework – but we’re really glad you wrote to us instead!)

I think it’s great that you are using your diary a lot! I think I will but a bit later in the year. πŸ™‚

Do you mean you get two or three lots of homework a DAY?!? If you do, that’s heaps! πŸ™‚

Thanks I can’t believe Kaitlyn and I got School Captain!

Miss you too!
Got to go
Eb

Do you like Chinese?
What’s your favourite class?

Hello Ebony & Eve,
We really miss having you at school Eve, as Ebony said. I can’t believe how quickly this year is going! We got elected School Captains weeks ago and it feels like yesterday!
I love how even though you have homework to do you are still visiting our blog. Please keep commenting.
We don’t get too much homework (When you get it done as soon as you get it), but when you don’t it all builds up to a lot.
Generally to keep organised I write things in my diary or get the homework out of the way IMEDIATELY when I get it.
My tips are to get your homework out of the way when you get it and also look over the homework when it is handed to you and ask questions then.

How much homework do you get? Is it easy or hard/boring?
What subjects do you both enjoy? Why?

Good Luck staying organised and Happy Blogging!
From Kaitlyn

Hey Kaitlyn,
I’m sorry I haven’t commented (as I mentioned to Campbell who might tell me off again! LOL!)
Thanks for your good luck! I have been a bit more organised!
I agree with your homework tips! Some kids in my class agree with you!
A student at our school does her homework at recess and lunch, forgets her keys and has to borrow others keys! She isn’t very organised!
If you came and talked to her about organisation, she might become much more organised!
Hope to see everyone soon,
Eve

Hey Eb,
My favourite class at school would be either PE (I know, different from last year!) and Chinese is difficult!
Here is a bit of basic Chinese (without the characters!)

Xie Xie (pronounced Sheh Sheh) – Thank you
Ni hao (pronounced Nee How) – Hello
Ta (pronounced Tah) – He
Ta (pronounced Tah with a different tone) – She

Try speaking to people in Chinese – and use your diary more often (though I haven’t gotten into the habit yet, either!)! πŸ™‚
Eve

Hey Eve,

Wow, I would never have thought you would like P.E! What are you doing now in P.E.? Today we did long jump but I fell off my bike last night and hurt my leg so I didn’t.

Chinese looks really hard! I don’t think I would be able to speak in Chinese to people!

Also I will try to use my diary more. I have just been really busy lately!

Got to go
Ebony

Hi Eve,

Naughty you!!! or was it homework blogging???

WOW!!! Sounds like you have a great amount of homework to do. Being organised sounds much harder than organisation here at UPPS.

Sorry go to go – need to pack up for lunch.
Campbell

Hey Campbell,
I’ve been naughty again for not replying to all of your awesome comments! πŸ™‚
We’re really lucky on long weekends – NO HOMEWORK! πŸ™‚ YAY!
Do you get homework on the long weekends?
Eve πŸ™‚

A good tip to be organised is to do every thing you need to do when you need to do it, like cleaning up your room or doing your homework early so you can do what you want to do instead of being stuck doing something you don’t want to to do when everyone else is having fun.

Keep organised!

Edward

Hi Eve,

That is very good advice for the grade 6s who are going into high school. πŸ™‚

I also agree with you when you say organisation is a must because I have heard so many people who say the exact same thing.

Thank you for your blog comment.
from Breeanna.

P.S Hope you enjoy the rest of the year. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Hello

I don’t really like homework either but it is still fun (sometimes). Our diaries are very helpful to keep us up to date. It also helps us remember when it is due.

My favourite type of homework is the maths homework. What is your favourite type of homework?

The pockets that hold the notices: It is a great idea! We won’t lose the old notices for people who are away any more. I haven’t seen any one get any thing out of there yet, but that’s a good thing!

Good bye.
Ella

Hi everyone,

I like how we get our own diaries. It is good that we get one.

That’s all from me, see you later!

Bailey

Hi,

I love homework and our reading diaries. I love the homework because it helps us learn. I also like homework because I love spelling, maths, reading, writing, tests and I love to learn new things. πŸ™‚

I love our reading diaries because the diaries have calendars and special dates in them. They also have room to write the books that we read and still have room where you can write special events that are going to happen at our school like photo day and Labour Day and we do not need to go to school on Labour Day. πŸ™‚

That’s why I love homework and our reading diaries.

I hope everyone is enjoying their day. πŸ™‚

Have fun !

Kind regards πŸ™‚

Becky πŸ™‚