Random Acts of Kindness

23

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Classroom, Special Event | Posted on February 16, 2015

Last week was ‘Random Acts of Kindness’ week. A random act of kindness is when someone (or a group of people) do something nice for someone else. The person doing the random act of kindness does not expect anything in return – they are simply being kind and trying to make someone happy.

Mrs Placek told us the story of how when she was working in a shop (when she was at university and before she was a teacher) someone bought a box of chocolates and asked her to wrap it up. The customer asked Mrs Placek to thenย give it to the next customer who came into the shop. Mrs Placek did as she was asked and the lady who received the unexpected chocolates was so happy she cried. It turned out she had been having a really tough time because her mother was sick. She was so touched by the stranger’s random act of kindness that she bought another box of chocolates and did her own random act of kindness.

There are all sorts of ways you can make someone happy with a random act of kindness.ย  They don’t have to cost any money and can be done in less than 30 seconds.

Here are some examples we brainstormed of how you can make someone’s day with a random act of kindness:

Sometimes you might not think you can make a difference, but you can! Whenever you think that your small act of kindness won’t make a difference, remember the story of the little boy on the beach and the starfish…

Source: unknown

Source: unknown

Have you ever received a random act of kindness? Tell us about it!

Have you ever carried out a random act of kindness? What was it?

Dear Team 5/6
I love your idea of random acts of kindness and will be interested to read what random acts you have done yourself, and what has been done to you!
Here’s a fun story with a good ending… When we’d just moved to the town we live in now, we heard that there was a Spanish assistant coming to the Secondary School in the town for a placement for a year. I had lived in Spain and spoke Spanish, and was interested to meet him. On his first night in our town (we hadn’t met him at this point) my husband spotted someone Spanish-looking in the Fish and Chip shop, asked him if he was the new Spanish assistant (he was very, very surprised by this approach) and insisted on buying his fish and chips for him and bringing him home to our house, where we had a lovely chat. We invited him back round for tea later that week, helped him find accommodation, and generally kept an eye on him while he settled in. That was 10 years ago. He now lives in Singapore. Since then, we’ve been to stay with him in Spain, his family have been to stay with us here, and last year we went to his wedding! So who knows where your random act of kindness will take you! Be bold!
Mrs Monaghan @ A room with a view

Hello Mrs Monaghan!

Thanks again for commenting on our blog! You always seem to have a comment on every post of ours. You must really enjoy blogging (just like me!!!) ๐Ÿ™‚

Also thank you for writing that story. You were right- it did have a happy ending!! It is a great story ๐Ÿ™‚

I think random acts of kindness are great too! I think they light up the world and make life happy for people!

Anyway, thanks again for commenting on our blog! I will try and do one on yours.

Got to go,
From Bailey ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks Bailey!
I think you have a great blog, an amazing class and fab teachers, that’s why I always try to leave a comment! Also, it makes a difference when people comment back… as you know!
Mrs Monaghan

Hello again,

I think we have a great blog too! Our teachers spend a lot of time working on new posts and our visitors (you) spend a lot of time writing comments! And you ‘re right, it truly does make a difference when people comment back, it lets you know that they are enjoying a conversation.

Anyway, got to go,
From Bailey ๐Ÿ™‚

Sometimes people don’t realize that they have done an act of kindness. I’m sure this will surprise Michael but the other day I was asked by council to hold a BBQ in Beveridge. They told me to cater for 50 people, so I inlisted two parents. Well over 200 people turned up and we needed more hands and without being asked and the other scouts off playing Michael took over preparing the bread for the sausages and passing their orders to them. He was such a great help that at the end the District Commisioner of Scout wants to sign off Michaels Citizenship badge, which you have to be really good for him to sign his name to anything. Michael helped me so much, without him I would have been rushed and flusted. Thanks again Michael

I love the random act of kindness theory and believe that this simple strategy could change the world over time if everyone was to give it a go! I know that is a big claim but I do believe it is that powerful. The act of kindness does not only impact on the person receiving the kindness but it also impacts on the person giving it. It is a great feeling!
I remember being at a shop one day and the person in the queue had made several purchases. When the shop assistant rang up the total the customer proceeded to get the money from her wallet. As she took the money out she realised she was a bit short. I can’t remember exactly how much it was but think it was about $5. She was fumbling around the bottom of her bag trying to get together some loose change and I could tell she was embarrassed and anxious. I gave the shop assistant the money and the transaction was done. The women was so grateful and asked me to come to the ATM with her so I could get my money back. I just said “You have a nice day because you have made me feel that I have done something nice today.” She smiled and that was that. I think that that lady would do the same for someone else if she was ever in that situation and that is how the kindness goes around!!!

Have a great day.

Mrs Laffan

Hello everyone,

I liked having to brainstorm the ideas for our 30 Random Acts of Kindness table in groups. I think we all did a good job and had a lot of thinking time for all of our random acts of kindness. I think we should have 5 minutes to do a random act of kindness to one person after recess or lunch time.

I have received a random act of kindness. I was out shopping and a friend from school saw me and came up and started to talk to me. I thought it was nice of her to say hi to me and I wasn’t expecting it to see her there.

So the next time I went shopping I saw my cousin and she didn’t see me and I went up to her and said hi. She was surprised to see me there.

Got to go,
Olivia

Hi Olivia

I agree, everyone did a fantastic job brainstorming different random acts of kindness!

I have witnessed lots of random acts of kindness. Like it says in the post, I remember when the lady was so happy a previous customer had bought her a box of chocolates. I have also seen people pay for someone else’s petrol at the service station.

Did you know there is a cafe in America where you can pay for a coffee in advance, so that a homeless person can come in and have a warm cup of coffee for free?

From Mrs Placek

Hi 5/6 Team,

Yes, my mum is right. You might not even know when you have done a random act of kindness. For example, a random act of kindness is when you help your mum with clothes, help dad search something up on Google or help your mum give out 100 sausages but you can do a random act of kindness to yourself. You can help the earth by throwing rubbish in the bin. You can also do a random act of kindness for someone else or they can do it for you. So, do a act of kindness and you will love it!

by Michael ๐Ÿ™‚

Hello Team 5/6,

When I was playing rugby one of our players got hurt. I helped him up and helped them walk off the pitch and to the hut to sit down.

I think it is a good thing to help people when they are hurt or just to help or be kind anywhere or anytime, even if they don’t do something nice back. It is just nice to know you helped someone. Also it is better to be kind, joyful and happy then anything else.

From, Kyle @ A room with a view class 3

Hello class 5/6,

One day when I was playing football someone fell over and hurt themself so I took him to the hut where the first aid was and he thanked me for helping him. Also when I fell over and hurt my head my friend helped me up and took me inside. You can be kind anywhere and at anytime when you get the chance be kind or help someone.

From, Cam @A room with a view class 3

Hi Cam,

I am sure the person you helped was very grateful. Football can be a bit rough! We went to a football (Australian football) clinic yesterday. There will be a blog post about it soon with some video and photos so you can see what we did.

I like the way you say we can be kind at anytime. I always try to be nice to other people too.

Take care,
Miss Crowther ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Cam,

Thank you for your comment. I’ve had situations almost the same as you where someone hurt themselves and I helped them up and put them in Sick Bay (First Aid). Then someone returned the favour for me I was hurt and they helped me to recover.

So that does prove if you’re kind to someone they will do the same for you. And for people who don’t, it is their choice to be kind and you can be kind wherever you are as you said. Also if they aren’t kind, it is their loss because they mightn’t get any help or very little help when they need it.

Thanks again for your comment.
Cam @ UPPS ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi 5/6 team,

I think it is a good to do a random act of kindness. We did random acts of kindness in our class and we had marbles and when Mrs Monaghan saw someone in our class holding a door open she put a marble in the jar. What does your teacher do when she sees a random act of kindness?

Hi Alaina,

I agree – random acts of kindness are great. I think they are terrific because they happen when you least expect it and can put a smile on your face, especially if you are having an ordinary day. The person doing the random act of kindness also feels good.

I like Mrs Monaghan’s marble jar idea. We have Behaviour Bucks in our class which people can earn for great behaviour, including random acts of kindness. We also have special awards at assembly each week. We have a student of the week and a values award for each class. Do you have awards at assembly?

Take care,
Miss Crowther ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi 5/6 team,

I think it is good to do a random act of kindness. When Alaina (my best friend) and I did karate she fell over and burst into tears and she had to go to the hospital. I think a random act of kindness is a good idea. What have you done for a random act of kindness?

From Eve @ room with a view class 3

Hi Eve,

Thank you for your comment!

I am sure Alaina was very pleased that you helped her when she hurt herself at karate. I hope she didn’t have to stay at the hospital for long.

I did a random act of kindness today. I surprised other teachers with a joke and a little chocolate shaped koala. I was also kind to myself and gave myself a chocolate too! ๐Ÿ™‚

Take care,
Miss Crowther

Hey Eve, ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree random that acts of kindness are a fantastic idea as well. Sometimes it is important to help someone in need. You did the right thing and helped Alaina, your best friend. ๐Ÿ™‚

I am sorry she had to go to hospital. ๐Ÿ™

I have a question to ask you, Eve. How long have you know Alaina? I have known my best friends Emma, Taylor, April, Sophie, Jason and Ronan from kindergarten to Grade 5. I also have a best friend called Ebony M who I have known from grade 3 to grade 5. She goes to another school now but we still hang out. ๐Ÿ™‚

Have fun at school with your best friends. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kind Regards, ๐Ÿ™‚
Becky

Hi 5/6 team

Sophie and I have just done a random act of kindness. We said thank you to Mrs Dobbs and helped set up assembly for Will and Kyle.

From Emily and Sophie

Hi 5/6 team,

I have four best friends but I have known Emily for the longest. Emily and I have been friends for 3 years! Just last week Emily and I saw a dog with three legs and we helped it find its owner because it was badly injured and needed help.

from Anna

Hi 5/6 team,

I like your idea of the random act of kindness. Have you got any more stories about it? I have 3 best friends. They are Emily, Anna and Sophie! I’d like to know if anyone has done a random act of kindness for you. I always give extra treats to my dog and it shows me tricks in return so we do random acts of kindness for each other.

From Eleanor

Hi everyone,

I liked how you thought of all those things about random acts of kindness. I probably can’t even think of about 20 things.

Anyway I got to go:(:(:(

From Beau

I agree with your opinion on kindness. Kindness does not need money it took your little seconds. A good kind work is never ever wasted.