Many Hands Make Light Work

15

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Classroom | Posted on February 10, 2015

‘Many hands make light work’ is a saying, also known as an idiom. It means that if lots of people work together a big task becomes a small task that is done quickly and easily.

Keeping a classroom running smoothly is a big job. So, in 5/6 Team we all help out. At the start of the year we made a list of all the jobs that need doing in our room each day and allocated monitors.

We have monitors for the following jobs:

* Laptop cupboard & computer

* Class meeting ‘chairpeople’

* Class meeting secretary (takes the minutes)

* Hot lunch monitors

* Tidy inspectors

* Thermometer

* Teachers’ helpers

* Office

* Whiteboard

* Recycling & Paper

* Class library

* Emergency (fills in when someone is away)

* Bag lockers

* Mail

* Compost bins

* Electricity

* Telephone

* Chairs

We are lucky enough to have three couches in our classroom. So, we also have two ‘Couch’ monitors. Every morning when the music starts they pull paddle pop sticks with our names on out of the ‘Need a Turn’ container and write the names under the little couches. Three people get to sit on each couch for the whole day.

We also have two ‘Quizzle’ monitors. A quizzle is a cross between a puzzle and a quiz. Miss Crowther and Mrs Placek have 100s of quizzles from a book written by Michael Pohl. Two quizzles are put up at the start of each day and we guess them as part of our End of the Day Process. You can read about our Start and End of the Dayย Processes in our Class Learning Plan.

Quizzles are words, expressions or lines from a song,ย in disguise. To solve them you have to think about how the words are written on the page. For example, the clues might be that the words are big, little, in between another word, jumbled up, at the top of the page or at the side of the page.

The answer to the quizzle below is ‘Somewhere over the Rainbow’. It is a line from a song in The Wizard of Oz. The clues were that the wordย ‘Somewhere’ is written above/over the word ‘Rainbow’.

When we work out a quizzle we talk about what it means and try to use it in a sentence.

Can you work out the two quizzles below?

Leave your thoughts in a comment!

What monitor jobs do you have in your classroom?

Which monitor job do you think would be the best one to have?

I don’t have a monitor in the office but…if I did have one I would like to have a principal’s helper monitor. It would be good to have someone who could help get the photocopying for me and maybe make me a cup of tea when I am really busy!!!

I have had a quick look at the quizzle but haven’t worked them out. I think they are great fun. If I wasn’t still getting ready for the meeting tonight I would love to spend some time trying to crack the code!!

Hello Mrs Laffan,
Thankyou for commenting on our class blog!
I’m glad you have told us in your comment that you want a principal monitor because I am happy to do that for $0.10 an hour. I will give you drinks, food, deliver messages, get photocoping, turn on the air conditioner/heater and…well, anything!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Anyway back to the point – it really is good having monitors. I am glad our class has monitors because it just makes everything a whole lot easier ๐Ÿ™‚ My class monitor job is to run the class meetings. I am really enjoying it and I think it helps out class a lot.

As soon I looked at the quizzles I knew them straight away (that’s because we have already done those ones before!) But I think the quizzles are great. I really enjoy them ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Once again thanks for commenting on our blog and make sure you have a great week!!!
Goodbye!
From Bailey ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Hello Mrs Laffan,

Thank you for your class blog comment.

I think that we all like having a monitor job. My monitor job is the Quizzle monitor. I personally love my class monitor job.

I think that would be a great idea having an office monitor.

Once again, thank you for your comment.

From Breeanna ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ (: (: (:

Hello everyone,

I think the idea of the icy pole sticks with our names on them are a good idea. It means we don’t all rush to the couches and bowl each other over.

So far, this year has been good and I think the rest will be good too.

See you later,
Brian

Hello 5/6 team,

We have the same monitor jobs in our classroom because we are in 5/6 Team! Tay is Recycling & Paper and Class Library. Eby is Phone Monitor.

We think phone monitor or teacher’s helper are the best monitor jobs to have because they are fun and you get to help out a lot. Eby said she likes being phone monitor. It is exciting because you don’t know who’s on the other end or what they are going to say! She has to pass on messages to teachers and other students. Also, the chair person or minutes person for the class meeting monitor would be fun as well.

We love having the couches and doing quizzles.

I think we can work out those quizzles. We don’t know the first one but we think KCAP is backpack. Are we right?

Got to go,
Tay and Eby

Hello 5/6 Team,

I like my monitor job. My monitor job is an every day job and is done at recess time and at lunch time. My monitor job is Hot Lunch delivery person. If I don’t do my monitor job all of the people with hot lunches would don’t get their lunch and that would be bad.

The most popular monitor job that most people wanted this year was class meeting chairperson and class meeting secretary.

I think having the three couches in our class is good. I had the three couches in my class last year as well. It was a good idea to have the paddle pop sticks because some people might have arguments over who is sitting on the couch.

I enjoy doing the quizzles at the end of the day. Sometimes they are really hard to answer but sometimes they are easy. I also had the quizzles last year in my class. So, some of the grade 6s this year know some of them.

Do you enjoy doing your monitor job?

Got to Go,
Olivia

Hi everybody,

I like the quizzles because they’re hard to guess.
1. Somewhere over the rainbow
2. Don’t know yet

That’s all I know.

Bye for now
From Brent

Dear Miss Crowther and Mrs Placek
My brother is in that classroom
From Mia M

Hey 5/6 team,

I think the best job to have would be the Emergency monitor because you will get to fill in for anyone who is away and you get to do every job. I think being the Emergency monitor would be a great job.

I also think that the mail job is good because you get to check all the mail people put in the mail box. I think that is a great job as well.

From Emma

Hello everyone,

I think that the best job would be emergency monitor because then you would get to try nearly every job.

I also think that teachers helper would be a good job because you would get to help the teachers with things such as jobs, going to get stuff from the printer or take a note to the office.

From Breeanna ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hi 5/6 team,

We have lots of monitor jobs in high school.

We have phone monitor, bin monitor, lunch monitor and lots more.

Hope your jokes are better Miss Crowther and Mrs Placek!

From Mitchell

Hello Mitchell!

Wonderful to hear from you. ๐Ÿ™‚

I wonder if your bin monitors and our bin monitors do similar things? I am guessing your lunch monitors don’t have a pie warmer to look after and classes to deliver lunches to?

Mrs Placek and I may still be telling the odd joke…or ten! just in case you are missing our jokes, here are some:
Q: Why are pirates called pirates?
A: Cause they arrrrr!

Q: What do you call a sleeping bull?
A: A bulldozer!

Hope you are enjoying secondary school and that you visit the blog often.

Take care,
Miss Crowther ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Miss Crowther,

They were very funny jokes ๐Ÿ˜€

Our bin monitor is mainly for the recycling. They go around the school and empty the recycling bins.

I think the lunch monitors are to take in the lunch orders but no one has ever had a lunch order before, we use the canteen.

I am enjoying secondary school. I already have lots of new friends.

You seem to be very busy at school. Hope the rest of the class enjoy your jokes. They have to hear them for the rest of the year! They better be new jokes!

Good luck for another year of teaching.

Mitchell :0 ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜€

Hi Mitchell,

I am glad you appreciated my jokes! I shall have to think of some more to share with you!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Great to hear that you are enjoying secondary school and have made new friends.

It certainly has been a busy start to the year at UPPS. I can’t believe that we are nearly half way through Term One. That means we are nearly one eighth of the way through the 2015 school year. Want to know my strategy for how I worked it out?

Happy high schooling!

Miss Crowther ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S:
Q: What do you call an alligator in a vest?
A: An investigator!
Hahahahaha

Hi Mitchell!

Great to hear from you!

I hope school is going well. Our jokes certainly are going very well!

For example…… What is the longest word?? Give up??? “Smiles”… because there is a mile between each ‘s’.

Why did the cookie go to the hospital? Because he felt crummy!

Thanks for visiting the blog. We love hearing from you!

Mrs Placek