Team Challenges

6

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Collaboration | Posted on October 20, 2014

Together Everyone Achieves More.

Every Monday we work in teams to solve a different team challenge. We have approximately 5 to 10 minutes (depending on the challenge) to work with our team members who are selected randomly. Sometimes we draw a coloured counter out of a tin and work with other people who have the same coloured and shaped counter.  Today the first person on the Grade Six roll worked with the first person on the Grade Five roll and so on. Sometimes we work in teams of three and sometimes just with a partner.

Here are the challenges from the first two weeks of this term. Miss Crowther and Mrs Placek found them on this website. They are based on logic. Can you solve them?

Today we worked with a partner to build the tallest ‘House of Cards.’ We had five minutes and one pack of cards.

IMG_4508 IMG_4509 IMG_4511 IMG_4512 IMG_4513 IMG_4514 IMG_4515 IMG_4516 IMG_4518 IMG_4521 IMG_4522 IMG_4523 IMG_4524

Our team challenges have helped us:

* Work with different people. Sometimes we prefer to work with our close friends and miss out on working with new people.

* Keep trying new things even when they are difficult. Lots of our cards fell down today but we didn’t give up!

* Take on different roles in groups to solve the challenge. We have to share the jobs and take turns. Good team members also encourage other members of the team and share ideas.

* Organise ourselves and equipment so we can straight away – there’s a time limit and every second counts!

* Choose a good spot to work and make sure everyone in the team can see or join in with the challenge.

What do you like most about working in teams?

Apart from at school, when do you work in a team?

What are the benefits of working in teams?

Have you got an idea for our next team challenge? Share it with us!

I think that learning to work in teams is one of the most useful skills you will obtain. Think about life after school! There are not many things that you will do that don’t involve working with others. Keep up the great work team! 🙂

Mrs Laffan

Hello Mrs Laffan,

Thank you for commenting on our blog.

I agree working in teams will be so vital for when we leave school. What’s your favourite thing about working in teams? Mine is so we can have more friends because we might not always work with this person that we have to work with!

Got to go
Ebony

Hello Mrs Laffan,
I agree with you! Working in teams helps you with school things and for outside of school!
It’s true that there’s not many things that don’t involve working together!
Ok, got to go!
Tayla-Jade

Hi Everyone,

It’s funny how some people enjoy working independently while many more prefer to work with others. People can enjoy both as well (like me!) Either way, work will get done but everyone knows that teamwork is usually the best option.

The benefits that come out of working together can result in a true friendship that was once before a stranger or perhaps an unknown student from school.

I work in a team at dancing. From doing dancing I’ve learnt that it only takes one person to quit to let the whole team down. It is also better to dance with someone than you staring the act by yourself. Here are some teamwork quotes found on the internet-

‘Many hands make light work.’ -John Heywood
‘Sticks in a bundle are unbreakable.’ ~Kenyan Proverb
“A group becomes a team when all members are sure enough of themselves and their contributions to praise the skill of others.” Anonymous

Happy Blogging! 🙂 🙂 🙂
Chelsea

Hi Chelsea,

You make many good points about working either individually or as a team. I think one of the things I like most about working in a team is having someone to bounce ideas off. What starts as a small idea grows when two (or more) people share their ideas. I always think it is interesting how different people approach tasks with different perspectives and ideas. Working with others is also very helpful if there is something to work on that is tricky. All of a sudden, it isn’t so tricky any more. Working in a team is also so much fun! I think they are some of the reasons I enjoy team teaching so much! 🙂

Love the teamwork quotes!!!

Miss Crowther 🙂

Hi guys,

I thought that it was really fun how the teachers said that we could do the challenges because it made us kids get closer together even with people we’re already really close with.

I really liked working with Kayla but it was a bit stressful building the cards up because Kayla and I didn’t really know much about building cards up – it’s not something that you do every day! But, we had a lot of fun trying new ways and we finally found out a way to start building. We were good until we were stressed by the time and how the cards kept falling down. It was still lots of fun.

Emily