Chuseok

5

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Collaboration, Inquiry, Skype | Posted on September 11, 2014

If you haven’t heard of Chuseok before, you’re not the only one! Until this afternoon we hadn’t heard of it either.

Chuseok is a very big celebration in South Korea. We found out about it this week when we had a virtual conference with our South Korean friends. Each fortnight, as part of the Asia ConneXions project run by the University of New England and supported by the Australian Government, we speak with a class from Daebyun Primary School in Busan, South Korea. They are learning how to speak English and we are learning about their culture as well as a few key words. It gives us an opportunity to learn about another part of the world and also helps us to practice speaking with different audiences.

The conferences last for about 40 minutes. Each class takes it in turns to present a PowerPoint presentation on a topic chosen by the teachers.  Our teachers email each other with the PowerPoints so each class can look at the slides whilst the other class talks about them. This week’s focus was on festivals and celebrations. You can see the presentation  Daebyun shared with us below.

We chose a few celebrations that happen in Australia to share with Daebyun. Below is the slideshow we spoke about.

At the end of the presentations there is a quiz. Some questions are ‘True or False’ questions. If we think the answer is true we put our hands on our head. If we think the answer is false we cross our arms.

The answer is...TRUE!

The answer is…TRUE!

In our previous conferences we have swapped general information about our countries,  foods and sports. We even got to try a popular traditional Korean food called ‘Kim Chi’ which is fermented cabbage.  Our friends in South Korea tried Tim Tams and Vegemite. We were warned, but it is safe to say that Kim Chi is a little hotter than we expected!

Which celebration is your favourite? Why?

What traditional foods have you tried from another country?

What country would you like to learn more about? Why?

Hi everyone.

I think it is amazing that you are having these international experiences and you aren’t leaving uPPS,! I am in Vienna tonight. I have tried to send messages to you. It not sure how sucessful I have been. Today I looked at a Palace that had 1440 rooms. Each room was unique. The empress had a bedroom that was just for occasions when she feeling sick but still had to work. One princess had to marry a prearranged king. He couldn’t be bothered turning up to the wedding so she attended on her own and a proxy stood in his place. She travelled to meet her husband after the wedding and the trip took three months! Tomorrow I am going to Venice and hope to ride on a gondola! It has been an amazing trip. I was disappointed that the queen wasn’t home when I visited Buckingham palace but I still enjoyed the visit. The shopping centre inDubia was amazing. it had an aquarium, a nice skating rink and a waterfall.

I had better go and get some rest before tomorrow’s adventures. Can you please pass this message onto the other class blogs as I am having trouble with internet access.

Hope you all enjoy the last week of term. Have fun

Mrs Laffan

Hey 5/6 Team,

Ethan’s favourite celebration is Christmas because he gets a lot of presents. Sam’s favourite celebration is New Years because he likes going into the next year.

Sam would like to learn more Australia because it’s the country he lives in. Ethan would like to learn more about Australia because he lives in that country also.

From Sam and Ethan

Hey everyone, 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

I like Christmas and Halloween because with Christmas I get lots of presents and for Halloween I like dressing up and getting lots of candy.

Happy Blogging! 🙂

Tanyshah! 🙂

Hello 5/6 team,
We have enjoyed talking to Korea this year.
Kaitlyn enjoys Christmas and her Birthday because on her birthday her family comes together to celebrate and Christmas because she loves a nice roast.

Kaitlyn has tried chuseok from Korea.

Kaitlyn would like to learn more about England because that is where her family is from

Breeanna enjoys Australia Day and Christmas because Australia Day because it brings Australians together and they will have barbeques. She likes Christmas because you give people gifts and you have a nice dinner with you friends and family.

Breeanna has tried Indian food and she thought it was delicious.

Breeanna would like to learn more about Italy because they have many different things to eat and have many different dances and cultures.

Hello 5/6 team,
I am sharing this learning with one of my fourth grade classes that happens to be studying South Korea. Mrs. Ramsey is from England and teaches here in North Carolina where she is now a citizen of the USA.
The students can learn about South Korea from your collaboration project to extend everyone’s learning.
We love learning about other places and people.