Class Meetings…Decisions, Decisions!

4

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Classroom | Posted on July 24, 2014

Each week, normally on a Thursday, we have a class meeting. It gives everyone a chance to have their say, listen to other opinions and make decisions about the things that happen in our classroom.

At the start of the year we set our class meeting expectations. You can see what they are if you watch the video below. We have an agenda with some items that Mrs Placek and Miss Crowther put on before the meeting and we have a ‘Car Park’ for other items that we want to discuss. The car park has four sections and you write your idea or question on a sticky note and put it in the appropriate space. It can be anonymous.

car park

There are two chair people and a minutes secretary. These are three of our classroom monitor jobs and they are very popular! We swap monitor jobs throughout the year so different people can have an opportunity to lead our class meetings. Click on the link below to read the minutes of today’s meeting.

Class Minutes 2014 24 07 2014

Our class meetings run for about half an hour. You can watch an edited version below.

Do you like participating in meetings? Why/Why not?

What would you add to our class meeting car park?

Hi 5/6 Team,

I’m glad to see you do Classroom Meetings as this is something I believe should happen in all classrooms. I think it’s fantastic that you get to have your say in how your classroom is working. This is actually how the idea of a classroom pet happened in my own classroom – it was an idea from my students in my first year. We got a mouse as a classroom pet that year but unfortunately, it died. Now we have a Bearded Dragon as our classroom pet. Miss Crowther and Mrs Placek will remember Penny & Sheldon… Sheldon has been adopted by a school family and now Penny lives by herself in our classroom. She has all of the students to keep her company though.
I have been keeping up with your blog this year and love seeing all the great things you are doing.
From your friend Miss Fraser 🙂

Hi Miss Fraser!

Great to hear from you. Thanks for your comment. 🙂

I most certainly do remember Sheldon and Penny. I was super surprised to see one of them on your shoulder when you met us at the office. At first I thought you had a rather fancy brooch!!! Glad to hear that they are both doing well.

We had class pets on our class meeting agenda too. We were going to get guinea pigs and pay for them from our class bank account. However, when we revoted the majority of people decided to save our money and work towards our goal of $1000 and go on an end of year excursion. So, no pets for us this year. 🙁

Do you still have class meetings? How often and for how long? We’d love to hear about the things you discuss.

Miss Crowther 🙂

Hi Miss Frasier,

I agree that a class meeting is a great way to share ideas and opinions.

I enjoy participating in our class meetings and being able to run them too! Last semester I was class meeting monitor along with Ebony. Eve was the Minute Taker. It is great to listen to others and share thoughts about the agenda items.

Happy Blogging! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Chelsea

PS: The mystery excursion we had last year was such an amazing surprise. Your Penguin Olympics is now a well known warm-up game throughout the school. It was be great if your class could one day come to our school and check it out! What about in a mystery excursion way?!?!

Hi 🙂 

I do like participating in class meetings because:

-We get to create fundraisers such as… Guess the lollies in the jar contest
-We get to raise money for our class bank account
-I get to have an opinion on things when we vote
-And heaps more, but, I’d be here for ages if I listed everything!

From Tayla-Jade 🙂