Halo!

6

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Indonesian | Posted on March 11, 2014

No, it’s not a typing mistake. Halo is Indonesian for Hello! Last week we had our first Indonesian lesson. We interviewed our teacher, Pak Wan and found out all sorts of things.

Pak (which means Mr) Wan has been teaching Indonesian for 3 – 4 years. He teachesย children and adults. Pak Wan decided to teach Indonesian so people could learn about Indonesia which is one of Australia’s very close neighbours.

The Indonesian Flat

The Indonesian Flag

Pak Wan likes the colours blue and brown. He enjoys playing badminton, which is a very popular sport in Indonesia. Soccer is another popular sport. Pak Wan really likes chilli and could eat a whole bowl full of brussel sprouts with chilli!ย  He would like to visit Egypt because it is an ancient culture.

We found out that Indonesia’s population is 250 000 000 whilst Australia’s is only about 24 000 000. That means Indonesia has roughly 10 times as many people.

Pak Wan’s favourite number is 9. He calls it the ‘King of Numbers.’ He also likes the number 8 because it is a lucky number.

We’ve addedย the ‘Indonesian Word of the Day’ widget below to our blog.ย  The widgets are on the right hand side of the blog.

Sampai jumpa! (See you later!)

Do you learn a language? What words do you know?

Why do you think it is good to learn another language?

Hi 5/6’s!

It’s really great to see that you all are enjoying learning a new language.
I enjoyed coming to visit on my day off, when I could be at home doing nothing! But I’m glad I came, I got to see all of you guys again!!

Anyway, I hope you all keep learning and enjoying more of Indonesian. Keep up the great work!

From, your former classmate, Lily (year 7) ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi everyone,

I am surprised to say this- I am really enjoying Indonesian. Pak Wan is a fantastic teacher and I look forward to seeing him each week. It is amazing how some people know so many languages!

This is my second language I have learnt (not including Australian). When I was in prep and grade one, I learnt Japanese with Miss Crowther and because I was only in Prep, it was hard!

Have fun at your next Indonesian lessons, Upper Plenty! I wonder what Pak Wan will teach us next week! ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy Indonesian everyone! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Chelsea

Hi 5/6 TEAM, Miss Crowther and Mrs Placek,
These are some words I have learnt…

Hi, how are you?
‘saya baik baik saja…’

What is your name?
‘nama saya…’

How old are you?
‘umor saya…’

Where do you go to school?
‘saya sekolah di…’

What grade are you in?
‘saya kelas…’

Where do you live?
‘saya tinggal di…’

Where were you born?
‘saya lahir di…’

See you later
Simpai jumpa!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

They are all my words!!!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

I think my words are bagus (good)

From Olivia S

How exciting to learn another language, and perhaps a little about their culture too, especially given we live in such a multicultural country.

I studied Indonesian (which was referred to as ‘Bahasa Indonesia’) and German at high school. I really had a lot of fun with my Indonesian teacher. Through friends, I have also picked up bits and pieces of Italian, French and Croatian. When Daniel started school he would come home teaching me how to count in Japanese too!

Can someone please pass on a message to your Indonesian teacher from me ‘Salamat datang, Pak Wan’ ๐Ÿ™‚ It means welcome in Indonesian.

Selamat tinggal 5/6 team ๐Ÿ™‚

Hello everyone,

I learnt these word in Indonesian: Selamat Pagi (good morning) and bagus (good).

I don’t think it is good to learn another language in case you forget it. You might say the wrong thing to someone and they would be mad.

If I went to Indonesia I would say hello in Indonesian. I would ask them, What are your shops like? I would go fishing. I would go on a boat back to Australia with the fish.

What would you like to do if you went to Indonesia?

From Hayden

Good point Hayden, if you did get mixed up it is possible to offend someone and make them a bit angry.